1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fyre Festival disaster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thank you for the recommendations, guys. Saw the Netflix piece and it was dynamite.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I watched both. The Netflix doc was way better IMO mostly because it played it straighter.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Watched the Netflix documentary last night.

The way they talk about Ja Rule in the first 20 minutes like he's Jay-Z or some kinda' somebody is laughable. "We went to a conference where Ja Rule was the keynote speaker..." "We had this amazing meeting with Ja Rule and..." What was so amazing about it? The fact that he still exists? Why was a man who has done next to nothing since 2002 - aside from go to jail his damn self for failure to pay things - treated with such reverence?

Really feel horrible for the island natives that did all of the work and were left holding an empty bag.

Don't feel one bit of sympathy for people who were duped out of their money.

My favorite part may have been the post-"festival" conference call where one guy says they committed fraud and Comptroller Ja Rule says, "It wasn't fraud. It was deceptive advertising." Wonder why this guy went to jail....

The fact that this asshole is only serving six years for this crime is disgusting. The fact that Ja Rule served no jail time is enraging.

ChrisLong likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Didn't 50 Cent write "Wankster" as a diss track toward Ja Rule?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Street cred my man, street cred. Millenials grew up revering 1990s/early 2000s rappers.

It would be like you or me going into business with Angus Young or Sammy Hagar.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

But it's Ja Rule. Ja Rule. There's no street cred there.

It's more like going into business with Fred Durst. ("Freddy, buddy, I've got a great idea. How do you feel about 'I Did It All for the Cookie' shops dotting mall food courts across this great land of ours?")

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    garrow and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Credit: NFL Memes

Gator likes this.
  8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I watched it last night.

Was the guy in charge of customs/taxes gay?

Or do hetero dudes like getting hummers from a gay dude?

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speaking of the FuckJerry guys …

Comedians have started a campaign to take down Fuckjerry, one of Instagram’s biggest joke aggregators. The Instagram account, run primarily by Elliot Tebele with contribution from others at Jerry Media, posts jokes and memes from around the internet — while profiting off sponsored posts sent to the 14.3 million followers those jokes have attracted.

This week, comedians on Instagram and Twitter are speaking out against Fuckjerry with the hashtag #fuckfuckjerry and encouraging people to unfollow the account. The campaign comes in light of renewed attention on Jerry Media, from its recent role in documenting — and working for — Fyre Fest, to a recent Vulture article about how it profits off other peoples’ jokes. …

Vulture comedy editor Megh Wright published an article earlier this week, along with a long tweet thread, about how the Fuckjerry account has published comedians’ jokes with captions that advertise the company’s own products, like JAJA tequila. The comedians don’t receive money for their content being used in a post that generates cash for Jerry Media.

Comedians are coming for one of Instagram’s biggest joke aggregators

10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What is this, release fraudulent fuccbois early from prison day?

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Perhaps the biggest "epic fail" of all in these clickbait stories was not reporting which jurisdiction did the sentencing. (It was federal court in NYC, after some digging.)

That's what passes for TMZ.

Draft saved Draft deleted