1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FYI: Season premier of Wire season 4 is up on HBO On Demand

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gonna fire it up here.... can't wait.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, but for those of us who don't have HBO on demand and have to wait until this Sunday to see the first episode, NO FUCKING SPOILERS.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm gonna put up spoilers that only a dumb, CFL-loving bastidge such as you can read.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

Beauty.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

AP previews the upcoming season...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/09/05/entertainment/e141708D56.DTL

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

ok folks, can i start with this season and be good? or do i have to go back and netflix all the rest (which i will do in time, just wanted to know if i could watch the season and still enjoy -- yeah, i know i won't enjoy it as much as if i'd seen 'em all, but still)

7. part-timer

part-timer Member

They do a brief synopsis at the start of the episode, breaking down last season and the events that lead into the first episode. That will give you some backstory to follow the episode without being too lost. This episode was like the first chapter of a great book: it gave you most, if not all the characters and set the story and has you wanting to continue.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You need to watch the first three seasons to understand.

You might still like it without doing so, but the show is way too complex to jump in during the middle.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I agree with zeke.

To understand some of the nuanced interpley between characters, and some of the funny one-liners, it helps to know what they have been through together.

10. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

They have a choice on HBO ON Demand called The Wire ReUp, which recaps each season in about 10 minutes. If you haven't watched them since they were on originally, it's a good idea before watching season 4. If you've never seen any of them, log on Netflix, and be prepared to be riveted to the couch for a few days.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hoops, if you can cram the first three seasons--30 plus hours of TV--into your schedule before Season 4 starts, I'd say go for it.

HC bought me Season 3 when it came out on DVD and I watched it in about 3 sittings. Then I went back and re-watched Seasons 1 and 2.
    You can rewatch episodes 2 or 3 times and get something new out of each one.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I disagree with some of you who say you have to start from the begining. Yes, to absolutely absorb the show like some of us do, you'd need to start from the very first scene, with McNulty talking about Snot Boogie, back in season 1. But each season of The Wire, especially this season, is also its own contained story arch. This season is about why education had failed in big city America, and I will bet $20 (payable to Hoops, through PayPal) that if he watches all of Season 4, he will love it anyway. Of course he'll love it more with the other three seasons under his belt, but I'm now convinced that Season 4 might be one of the best seasons of television ever. We need as many fans as possible to keep this show around for one more season, so spread the word. Don't try to discourage people from watching because it's too complex. It's full of subtleties, and it's hard to follow at first because there are no good guys and bad guys, but give it three episodes and it will knock you on your ass.

Also, if you want to read a totally sweet (but pretty long) article about the show and how they came up with some of the ideas for Season 4, check this out.

http://www.citypaper.com/news/story.asp?id=12201

Draft saved Draft deleted