1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FYI: New search engine on SJ

Discussion in 'SJ Site News & Suggestions' started by Jeff, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

I'm in the process of rolling out a new search engine behind the scenes on SJ. There will be a few small bits of downtime, but shouldn't be too much.

The current search engine just returns anything that matches your query, ordered by recency. The new search engine will support searching by either relevancy or recency, and should do a much better job of returning results based on relevancy to your query.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Will we be able to find Boom with it?

Riptide, SnarkShark and Jeff like this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Jeff,

Any thoughts on having a locked SJ penalty box thread? It could display who is in, and their release date. And maybe state the offense.

I generally like the idea, but some crazies here might do things to deliberately get put in the box, like a red badge of courage. So, I would suggest three strikes within a year and you are out, and what strike you are on would also be listed as you serve your time in the box.

The one benefit I could see is that everyone would see who is skating on thin ice, and so a suspension/ban like boom's wouldn't be a big surprise to everyone.

The public penalty box could have a deterrent effect as well.

But, mostly, I think a lot of people would enjoy making fun of who is in the box.

I know I don't want to be there!

Regards,
    VB

Riptide likes this.
  4. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Let me think on it and get some opinions privately from the mods and a few friends who run large forums...

I'm just hesitant because a) I'm not sure how beneficial it'd be, and b) it adds more work to moderating because everytime someone gets a penalty we now have to add them to the thread and then remove them later.

Another even bigger concern is sometimes when someone gets suspended/banned there's a backstory that one reason or another shouldn't be explained in public... I'm a fan of transparency, but when those backstories involve other innocent users I don't feel at liberty to share much. But I will think on it... don't expect a fast response though--I've got family visiting for a few days from out of state, so won't be online much for the next few days.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff. Agreed there are potential downsides. But it could be an interesting twist (feature) that I have never seen on any message board.

I guess the sociological experiment would be whether or not it acts as a deterrent. If you wind up with more people getting in the box, like deliberately trying to get there, well, that's more work.

I saw someone else here mention the penalty box idea, and thought that's a neat idea.

Please do take some time and ask around. And enjoy the family!

Regards,
    VB

Riptide likes this.
  6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just put their name, there doesn't need to be an explanation as to why.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how generally helpful finding out who or why someone is in the penalty box would be.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Ahem.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hmmm ...

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff,
    Hope you are well. I am doing great. I'm writing because the site's search function you reference in this post seems to be malfunctioning, and according to the moderators you are the only one who is able to fix this. I know this issue has caused a lot of nonsense on the board, much to our moderators' dismay, and it would really improve the important roles they play on this site if it were resolved soon. While it may seem like a small issue, many posters rely on the search function to relive old favorite threads or verify the veracity of a poster's claim. Yes, Google sometimes suffices in these instances, but it seems silly to have to navigate to a different site for something that used to be and should be readily available here. And if there is one thing the posters on this site abhor, it is excessive silliness.

At your earliest convenience, can you please update us on the status of the search function and if/when it will be available again for our use. Thank you in advance for your prompt response to this request.

Sincerely,
    A humble poster with a humble request

Mr. Sluggo likes this.
  11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"The only person who would have the ability to disable the search function is Jeff, and he's been AWOL."

He hasn't been AWOL. He was here for at least an hour a few weeks ago. So either he can't fix the search function or he doesn't want to.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How did you guys find this thread?

Vombatus, Chef2 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted