1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FWAA and BWAA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarltonBanks, May 16, 2009.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I recently joined these organizations without really doing much research. Any members here or can anyone tell me what the benefits are to belonging to these organizations? I'm just curious.

Thanks

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depends on how much you use the stuff as to whether or not it's worth it.

With FWAA, you get a directory of all the other members that include their e-mails and private numbers. Need, say, Herbstreit's cell number? It's in there. Need the number to the SID or play-by-play guy of East BFE Tech? It's in there.

You also get some discount cards for Marriott and Avis. But, honestly, I've yet to get a better deal using those cards.

You might be asked to vote in some random awards based on membership. Not the Heisman, but the award for the best punter or something.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The Marriott VIP cards are excellent. I don't know how you aren't getting a hefty discount using them, unless you are abandoning Marriott altogether and (gasp!) staying at a Ramada or something.

The Hertz discount can sometimes be as high as 30 percent, but it's usually much less than that.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

I've used the Marriott VIP cards several times and saved good money with it. And the FWAA directory is one of the best resources a beat writer can have. Reminds me I need to send in dues, then wonder if the paper is still reimbursing for it ...

5. WS

WS Member

I've never once been asked to show my Marriott VIP card, though it's gotten me some great discounts on very nice hotels.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I've been carded twice, so it's always a good idea to keep the card on you, just in case.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Hmm, maybe I'm just not hitting the right Marriotts. I can usually get just as good or better rates via Expedia or Hotels.com.

8. WS

WS Member

oh, I've got my card, but I've also only been carded once (out of several times) for AAA.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

That might be true. I've never checked. I've never really needed to, I guess. My question: Do you still get your nights/points if you book through expedia and whatnot? Because otherwise, screw that.

Draft saved Draft deleted