1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Future Sports Journalist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by coreybodden, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Future sports journalist? I nearly swallowed my upchucked bile. You've got to kidding me, kid.

I'm 54 -- "and a man" -- and I can't fathom any sort of market for very many journalists -- if you're talking for newspapers or even websites -- 10 years from now.

Funny, even with all my experience -- 12 newspapers big and small, nine chains, reporter, editor, supervisor -- it doesn't help my cause when three or four usually unskilled 22-year-olds are waiting behind the door and willing to work for scratch.

That rotting horse you see in the middle of the steaming, barren courtyard. That's the newspaper industry. No editors will be hired, and fewer reporters will be needed. Well, reporters over 30.

Dying, dying, dead.

I'm still trying to map a plan for the next eight years. Then what after that? K-Mart greeter? Mickey D's part-timer? Hell, not to disparage those positions. Many a folk out there would be happy to have those jobs.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Harry,

I understand about being middle-aged and feeling kicked to the curb and worried about what to do next. Really, I do. Been there, and, thankfully, have, pretty much, gotten through that, at least emotionally, if not financially.

I also agree that this business will soon be made up of very few people over the age of 35. Maybe even 30, as you said. The writing's on the wall, and has been for some time. I've said the same thing, several times, on here in the last couple of years.

But, do you realize you woke up this morning and littered the JTO board with the last responses to 16 different threads, all of them having to do with cuts and poor prospects for the future, etc.?

And, I remember how most of the other of your 29 posts occurred a couple of weeks ago on another apparently similarly bad morning. I know it probably feels good to vent in a place where you can do so, but all these posts are probably not helping you, and I'm thinking you might regret them a little bit later.

Just saying...

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I had this exact scenario shortly after college...management offer at a Target-like store or a sports job at a community newspaper...I stayed with newspapers and am glad I did. But I've been blessed to find a chain where family means something and we're not asked to work 60, get paid for 40. I'll be going into my 17th season with the same company come this fall and now work largely from home and make my own schedule. As a father of two it's been a perfect fit for me.

Of course, as you read on this board, I'm the exception I believe...most don't find such a comfortable stop. And for sure I'd be making way more $$$ had I gone the other route -- if that's your motivation.

4. WriteThinking: Well, if there's any place to vent, it's on this board, right?

I don't know if I agree with your appraisal that I'm "littering" the board. These are topical things happening right now in our industry. As I wrote in one post, the industry and the decisions made by the bigs can and have had life-and-death consequences (note the three men I knew who died prematurely).

Journalists untouched by the last five years or those thinking about going into our business might want to hear my perspective. And if not, they can as easily tune out.

Just for you, I'll look for a cheery subject and leave a carpet of flowers in commentary.

Uh, is there a cheery subject out there?

And for my one fan out there, thanks. Not that I'm in the business of counting fans.

Thanks.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Oh, I know all about the consequences of decisions, events and attitudes that have been prevalent in the industry in recent years. My life has not been untouched by them. In fact, our perspectives are, probably, pretty much the same.

I don't actually mind you addressing the issues, from whatever perspective you have, either. It is just that your responses, and the sheer onslaught of them, have, to me, almost a shoot-em-up sense to them.

Frankly, it makes me concerned about you. Perhaps I didn't make that clear previously. And perhaps I'm wrong to be so.

I'm just letting you know that that's how your posts resonate with me, although that might be because, as I said earlier, I've been where it sounds like you are.

Draft saved Draft deleted