1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Future 3000 hit club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 12, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Quietest 3,000 in MLB history, perhaps.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds says "Seeeee, people just get large naturally."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Vaughn and Cecil Fielder, to use a couple of physiological comps, both dropped off the end of the earth at age 33-34.

I expect Cabrera and Prince Fielder to follow similar paths.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't think Cabrera's girth is steroids. It's beer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I said he is NO Vaughn or Fielder. He's big and has a belly now but its not even close to the size of Prince's for example. He's over weight but not any more than say Howard is.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You can't compare Miggy to the Fielders or Mo Vaughn. Those fat guys swing out of their shoes every single time they strided. All or nothing with them.

Cabrera has an easy, effortless swing and hits it on the screws every at-bat, it seems. Manny Ramirez is an excellent comparison

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If Albert Pujols retires tomorrow morning, he's in the Hall. I can tell you that. I can't tell you whether he'll be hit by a bus next week.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Melky?

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Good catch. No chance in hell.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Melky has 800 career hits before the age of 27 and had 200 hits last season. As crazy as it may seem, he is on the radar. Granted, 5% is a low, low chance.

Getting 3,000 is about what you do in your 20s, not what you do in your 30s.

11. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

He's a .275 hitter and is already 200-400 hits behind the pace.

Some guys who are the same age with more hits: Hanley Ramirez, Jeff Francouer, Nick Markakis. All of them are over 1,000. How about Prince Fielder? Same age, 160 more hits and higher career batting average?

Let me put it this way. If a career .275 hitter who has one season with more than 150 hits is given 180 hits for 10 seasons (till age 37) he would still need two 180+ hit seasons to get to 3000. A career .275 hitter at age 27 isn't going to suddenly hit .300 for 12 seasons.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You argue like I am telling you Melky is going to get 3,000 hits. I really don't think he is, but of all the guys you just mentioned, only one had 200 hits last season.

And BR lists Melky at 26 for last season. The other guys are listed at 27.

Draft saved Draft deleted