1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further proof (if we ever needed any) that the NHL doesn't belong in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you believe attendance figures in any sport, I've got a bridge to sell you. In the NHL the only thing that matters is gate receipts. And yeah, if they're selling tix for $10.00 or $20.00 or doing two for one deals, they're papering the house.

It doesn't take an economist to figure that out.

2. Vegas, baby!

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Shoot, that's what the Whalercanes have been doing for years. But in the organization's defense, better to sell the tickets cheap and grow fanbase than hold out for more money the organization's not ever going to see otherwise.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Save for the Jan. 1 game, the NHL has crapped its pants anyway. No large TV contract, labor dispute that canceled a whole season,

It's clearly on a level with Major League Soccer, no higher.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'll agree with most of that, however, when talking the NHL you can't just discount Canada. The fact that it has the market that it does in Canada -- and really in the Northern U.S. -- does make it a somewhat healthier and more viable league than MLS.

Now if they could only get out of where they don't belong, secure a real TV deal and get rid of their asshat of a commissioner, they'd be a lot better off.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The clockwork element here is that one of these threads will turn up every few months bitching that the NHL won't put more teams in Canada.

Two more, and redundancy moves ahead of Moosehead on the list of great Canadian exports.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Europe. Hasn't Bettman been championing the virtues of expanding overseas? Anyone know how to say Predator in Swedish?

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with Kansas (except for what the book says). But by all means, make fun of Missourah all you want.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Further proof (if we ever needed any) that the NHL doesn't belong in Nashvil

And true to form, you show up here with nothing to add to the conversation other than what you learned from the Bettman playbook.

How fun is it to be an ignorant shill for the NHL?

And yes, because moving a team like Preds to a largely irrelevant market like KC is a way better idea than moving it to the fourth largest North American market and the single biggest hockey market in the world.

And boy, I wish we could get rid of all those annoying repetitive threads on the NBA, NFL, bowl games, high school soccer and why the world is a better place now that Fredo is gone. Fucking Americans.

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Basically, the stronger American dollar at one time killed the Canadian end of this and quite honestly, that sucks. It's Canada's passion. Not even in some of those northern U.S. outposts is it close to being the primary passion.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You are one funny fucker, and here's why: You don't get it. Not once. Not ever.

I could give two shits about the NHL that I'm "shilling" for. I advocate moving all franchises north of the border (or giving Detroit to Canada) so US papers can handle the NHL the same as the CFL -- standings and scores in agate, mention of the championship in briefs.

But you don't get that. You think I care, when I'm just enjoying more laughs at your expense.

With your complete lack of awareness, better be careful you don't walk into any bear traps. I want you to be safe and keep posting. You're the funniest thing to come out of Canada since SCTV.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: Further proof (if we ever needed any) that the NHL doesn't belong in Nashvil

I know exactly what you've been doing --you're transparent as hell. It's astonishing that people post on threads that they have no interest in and think being a troll is somehow amusing. Talk about fucking losers.

From my side, I've always found your fundamental business ignorance a fucking hoot.

And to top it all off, you've managed to combine sophomoric humour with small-minded American xenophobia.

Congratulations, foof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.