1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further proof (if we ever needed any) that the NHL doesn't belong in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's an outstanding pull

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know the market number offhand, but KC is closer to places like Milwaukee and Indianapolis than it is, say, Houston or Seattle. EDIT: I see someone has pulled the numbers since I typed that. The NHL and the NBA have already pulled up stakes in the past. It's hard to see how KC could support more than the Chiefs and Royals, and it's not as if the latter are packing the place.

The NHL has a problem simply of having too many teams to support at current prices. Maybe you can let Senor Blackberry take a team to Southern Ontario, but otherwise unless Toronto and Montreal each got another franchise (population and hockey interest, in theory the markets could support more than one team), you're hard-pressed to find places that are chomping at the bit to get the NHL. Milwaukee can't support another team. Seattle might be a possibility with the Sonics gone. I know Houston has been discussed for years, so many it is large enough to overcome its southern location. Nashville's problem is that the city was behind the Predators when it appeared it was the only major league team it could get. Once the Oilers arrived, the Preds were forgotten in a second.

The other option is deflation. Ticket prices get lower, salaries get lower. If the economy doesn't turn around anytime soon, other leagues are going to find themselves in the same position, high interest or no.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Houston is a horrible sports town. The NHL would be crazy to put a team there. KC would be the better choice.

Heck, San Antonio would probably be a better choice than Houston. There isn't enough corporate money to support an NFL or MLB team but there is probably enough for an NHL team and there's already a pretty nice arena there.

5. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

One more time, with feeling.

The link I put up is from the Television Advertsing Bureau.

US TV households by market.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

And, given his stubbornness and public backing of the teams on the brink, don't be the least bit surprised if Gary Bettman knows about it.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is America. We don't have "cheques." :D

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First sign you're not in Kansas anymore. :)

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cheques and balances? ;D

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And, remember, if you don't like the attendance figures, just say they're fabricated.

Oh, is this shit a hoot or what?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

or the tickets cost 10 bucks. Attendance is the last way this thing should be judged. What's there local tv contract, or radio contract. Where are they on the sports pages? Do people actually care? The Predators have lost close to 75 million and they receive an NHL welfare cheque.
    My question to you is do you believe that Nashville is an NHL market? I think Atlanta, Phoenix and Miami are worse but Nashville is close.
    I wish the NHL would just be OK with the sport being a niche sport in the States, there is nothing wrong with that.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Anybody in Kansas should start packing immediately. No real reason to stay there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.