1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further proof (if we ever needed any) that the NHL doesn't belong in Nashville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So, can one of the Bettman apologists around here explain how this is good for the NHL and why this franchise is better off in Nashville than say--just for grins-- Kitchener-Waterloo, Hamilton, Quebec City or Mars?

[​IMG]

I claim this hockey team in the name of Mars!

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Mars Bars. :)

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've been more tollerant of the Nashville Predators existence than many of the Canadians on here and in the past I've even brought up the dire situations of the Oilers, Flames, etc. and the entire Canadian equalization program. However, the attendence targets they had to hit they didn't get there by publically buying the tickets themselves.

The other difference in the situation was that there struggles weren't based on an indifference to the sport, their biggest problem was an inability to compete financially because of the Canadian dollar being in the toilet, leading to frustration in the fan base as they watched their teams turn into virtual farm teams for the likes of the Rangers, Flyers and Red Wings.

The business communities in the Canadian centres got behind their franchices and along with the public, bailed them out. I've been up for giving the sunbelt teams every opportunity to succeed, but most have been in place for close to a decade and the business communities and the cities in general still doesn't give a rats ass. The biggest part of that being the business communities. That's the frustrating part and I've lately been more and more open to relocating them or closing some of them down altogether. This would be a case of where less is more. Are the Coyotes and Predators actually viable in their current locations? I'm doubting this more and more.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The league should relocate the Preds to Kansas City.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At this point if they can find an owner who isn't a crook and the business community is committed for the long haul, you can't do any worse. It'll realistically happen before Hamilton or KW or any other Canadian locale.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And where would they go after three years there?

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Minneapolis.

St. Paul already has one.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think that the league is serious about making the KC market work. They would be tied with the Royals as No. 2 professional sports franchise, behind the Chiefs.

After the Chiefs' season ends and prior to the start of the Royals season, the KC Predators would almost monopolize press coverage and the fan base (I say almost due to Mizzou and Kansas college hoops).

Finally, this season notwithstanding, the Predators have typically put together teams that could compete for playoff berths.

So, I think that the Predators could draw in KC.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I told him we already got one!
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I fart in Al Secord's general direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Where does K-C stand in the overall U.S marketplace? Are they even in the top ten?

12. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.