1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further info on DC needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PeteyPirate, Apr 25, 2007.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I started a thread on this a few months ago, but now my move to DC is become more imminent. I have been looking at some condos near the SW waterfront, a couple of blocks away from that Metro stop. It is my understanding that this is near the site of the new ballpark. I was just wondering if anyone with experience could speak to the relative safety of that neighborhood.

2. blueview

blueview Member

Go ahead, be liberal with the mace. Self-defense classes may help, too.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I just can't imagine why anyone (excepting the president) would live in the District of Calamity, and I lived next door for 15+ years (1984-99 - fixed).

Whatever it is you're looking for, you can find it better in suburban Maryland or Virginia.

4. boots

boots New Member

Good luck. Suburban Maryland and Virginia isn't as great as many would have you to believe. This is a high-priced area. Crime is everywhere. You might get into a pocket where there is less of it, but there is crime.
    DC is known as Chocolate City and its famous for its Vanilla suburbs.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

You'll either be on the cutting edge, or else be cut from edge to edge.

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

SW waterfront is going to be better than the SE, but be very careful.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't want to live in the suburbs. I could do that for a lot cheaper in North Carolina.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Alexandria?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hagerstown, Md., looks nice.

10. boots

boots New Member

Frederick, Hagerstown, Gaitersburg, it's all the same. It's Maryland and you will pay.
    Alexandria, Falls Church, Arlington, it's all the same. It's Northern Virginia and you will pay.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's the very simplified, substance-free answer to the question.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Charlestown, W. Va. Sure, you're an hour away or so, but you can suppliment your income with slots and horsey bets.

Draft saved Draft deleted