1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Further evidence gender reveal parties are the worst

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Jul 17, 2017.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You glory in every form of sexual deviency (at least jokingly), but then you want to shit on people who go through mental hell every day? Not cool man.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

dixie,
    I probably worded it way too harshly (and I thought I had edited it down quite a bit before posting).

I agree with you, and know from acquaintances and family too. You are exactly right. It's pure hell for some.

So let me explain why I used the term "shitheads". About two years ago, a married couple who I'm very good friends with described a new trend of being pansexual. We were in a bar, so my immediate (and probably loud) response was "What the fuck is that?"

My friends, parents of two teenagers, said it was liking both sexes, and maybe preferring one over the other based on what side of the bed one got up on that day.

Now, on the other side, I've worked with two transsexuals, and know of a third. And then I heard a gf family member was making the change after identifying as female. When I heard she was coming out as transsexual and dressing, etc., I was very concerned. To me, that's one of the absolutely toughest roads in all these gender IDs, which believe it or not, I'm accepting of - freedom to choose or better put, freedom to be who you are.

Now to the present moment. My gf's transsexual relative is dead. Found dead in a hotel. She made a choice based on the hell she was going through.

So, to backtrack a bit, this pansexual daily choice BS bothers me because it pales, IMHO, to those going through the major hell of being transsexual.

Thus, when I said this whole thread title reminds me of people sitting around and choosing a gender at some party, my reference is strictly toward this pansexual stuff that seems rather flippant to me than far more serious gender issues.

Hope this helps where I was coming from. I know my post might have come out of leftfield. Thanks for giving me a chance to explain further. Basically, my point is that this isn't a frivolous subject and I damn well know it from acquaintances and family.

Regards,
    VB

OscarMadison, bigpern23 and Alma like this.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

When I say I don't understand things like transsexuality, bisexuality, gender fluidity and the like, I'm not being flippant or judgemental. I literally cannot wrap my mind around the concepts. My brain just isn't wired that way.

But what I've settled on is that I don't have to understand the specific details in order to try and show kindness to people. I'm not always great at it, and I'm more apt to show it to groups and people that I don't have a lot of experience with than those that seem familiar. With them especially I stumble and fall face down in the mud over and over. I just have to remind myself to get up again and go back to walking the path, however halting my steps are.

A little more than four years ago, a dear friend from college who was bi killed herself at her parents' beach house. That wasn't the only thing weighing on her mind, but she felt that internal conflict every day and it ground her down, even with decent family support.

If it was possible to pray the gay away, Lee Ann would have done it. To the very end she stuck with the Assemblies of God faith she grew up with, even as the preacher she met with somewhat regularly told her she was bound for hell. (What is unknown is if he ever found out about the other congregants that confided their lesbianism to her.)

I read the same Bible verses everyone else does about homosexuality, but then I think of her and other friends who are gay or trans, and how none of them were making a "choice" to spend their lives catching hell from the outside world and forever doubting themselves inside their own minds. And the only way I've come to peace with that is to realize that God didn't call me to have all the answers for everything, and my job is just to shut up and love and accept people for who they are while hoeing my own row.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Great post, dixie.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I used to think that about the hashtag thing, but it is useful: it allows everyone to easily track down photos on Facebook.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

My niece -- who is 20, I believe -- just had a gender reveal party for her second baby. She and baby daddy aren't married; she's not ready for that kind of commitment, she said.

We graciously declined the gender reveal party invitation. The first baby, yeah, have the party and the showers and everything. After that....nah.

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

If it's 2 pitches and 2 outs, the unwritten rules say you take the third pitch.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So the kids are just a hobby, right?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be honest - I think these "reveals" are a little more classy than sharing a sonogram on Facebook where you may - or may not - see what you're supposed to see.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This guy told his wife to get that weak shit outta here.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Going out on limb here but I really wish Batdad would have one more kid just to see that gender reveal video.

"JEN! What color mask ... am I ... wearing?"

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted