1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furor over Stewart-Colbert rally

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I mean.

For all the concerns about bias and objectivity, we still have lives to lead.

I'm not saying that a political reporter should put his favorite candidate's bumper sticker on the back of his car, but I see no reason why a sports reporter couldnt' do so, or why the politial reporter couldn't put his favorite team's sticker on his car.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Awhile back there was a newspaper in a college town that banned its reporters from wearing any college gear, with the obvious exception of the local team. This came after one of their sports reporters was seen at a bar, wearing the hat of his alma mater (which never played the local school in question) and was located about 1,500 miles away from said town and one of the boosters complained to the publisher.

I'm sure some of the people on here know what paper I'm talking about, but since it was a decade or so ago, it didn't get the backlash that such a move would get today.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You mean like the radio reporter in Arkansas who lost her job over wearing a Florida hat to post-practice presser?

Stewart might be the best press critic working today and news orgs that ban its employees from attending the rally are just silly.

And, as some may recall, in 2004 many news orgs banned its employees from attending Bruce Springsteen concerts because they doubled as campaign rallies.

4. Mizzougrad96

Hell, I'd go to a democrat benefit if Springsteen was playing. :D

5. Mizzougrad96

That's a little stupid, but she shouldn't have been fired over it.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Political reporters should voluntarily cede their right to attend political rallies as a matter of ethics. But that's it.

As a sports writer I never gave up my right to take part of the American political process. I wasn't paid enough for that.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

He mocks them all. But his views clearly skew a certain way (which is likely why he points out the Democratic Party's foibles; he feels the same frustration others feel). It amuses me when people act like his views are "middle of the road." They are not, but that's OK.

If you read anything else in my posts, then your reading is incorrect.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I think Stewart's fury comes a profound sense of disappointment in the political process and the media coverage that comes with it.

I think more of his venom is directed at Republicans because of just how they operate, but his real anger is at Democrats who have failed, in his eyes, to do what they said they'd do.

What really gets him going is the media coverage that depicts politics as a back and forth tennis match and the assumption that things have to be one way or the other. When most things, in reality, are so complex, it is entirely possible for a person to be right on the issue, but also wrong.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I see no problem with this. And I particularly don't buy the "slippery slope" argument. People are fully capable of drawing lines somewhere. We do it all the time. We have speed limits, and just because the speed limit is 65 now doesn't mean it is going to be 35 tomorrow.

And if I were an editor and a sports writer had a political bumper sticker on his car, he would be ordered to take it off immediately.

Same thing with a newsie sporting State U gear around the office, if we covered State U.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'd much rather watch Stewart make fun of Glenn Beck than watch Glenn Beck. Of course, in some people's minds, that makes me closed-minded.

11. Mizzougrad96

I remember reading that O'Reilly's ratings have skyrocketed since Colbert began satirizing him.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Speaking of, how about Behar and Whoopi's pathetic grand standing yesterday?

Draft saved Draft deleted