1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furor over Stewart-Colbert rally

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm posting this as it pertains to journalists, not for political reasons.

NPR banned its employees fromn going at all.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101014/cm_yblog_upshot/news-outlets-caution-staff-about-stewart-colbert-events

The Washington Post sent the following memo out today:

"Events, like those organized by Glenn Beck or involving Jon Stewart and Steven [sic] Colbert, are political, and therefore Post newsroom employees may not participate. By participate, we mean that Post newsroom employees cannot in any way put themselves in a position that could be construed as supporting (or opposing) that cause. That means no T-shirts, buttons, marching, chanting, etc. This guideline does not prohibit Post newsroom employees from observing — that is, watching and listening from the sidelines. The important thing is that it should be evident to anyone that you are observing, as journalists do, not participating, whether you are covering the event or not."

Thoughts?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Buh . . .buh. . . but I thought Stewart's show is "Middle of the road!!"? He makes FUN of political people! Equally!!! Comedy!!! Not political at all!!!!!!

;D :D ;)

Thoughts?

Media outlets covering their own tails. Wish they were more consistent.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, even as a conservative, I have a problem with this. This is entertainment. If I lived near DC, I would definitely go to this. Of course both shows skew liberal. Who cares? It's comedy.

4. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

As far as I know, they won't be backing political candidates (though they'll almost certainly be mocking more than a few). But how can either of these be termed a political rally if they aren't campaigning for (or against) anyone?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Next up: NPR encourages employees to avoid the Improv.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Seriously. Are they allowed to go to a Bill Maher performance? How about if the Capitol Steps are in town? Are they just going to impose a company-wide blackout on political humor?

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From what I know, the Glenn Beck rally wasn't necessarily campaigning for any particular candidate either, and I don't think you'd find anyone saying it wasn't a political rally.

Sure, the Stewart/Colbert rally is likely to be a little more ... relaxed than the Beck one. But if there's a degree of doubt created by journalists attending in a participatory, rather than journalistic, role, then that's a degree of doubt too much. If you want to be impartial, it's not enough to be just over the line of impartiality. You can't be anywhere near the line.

Aside from all that, however, these are two pretty significant figures in the American political/entertainment spectrum. It would be nice if two relatively significant news organizations could spell their damn names correctly.

8. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I don't know that I'd have a problem with employees going to Beck's rally, either. I don't agree with his views, but, again, as long as he's not actively campaigning or touting one candidate over another, how can you call it a political rally?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely.

I just think it's so cute when people act like Stewart is somehow "middle of the road." Whatever helps one sleep at night, I guess.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think I've used this example before, but unless it's a reporter or editor who covers politics, I don't see what the big deal is.

After all, the Post covers the Redskins too. Does this mean that employees, including the top brass, is not allowed to attend Redskins games? If they did, there could be a perception that they are biased towards the Redskins.

Heck, I remember reading in one of John Feinstein's books an anecdote from when he first worked at the Post. It was draft day (in the pre-ESPN days), and Ben Bradlee walked into the sports department asking, "Who did we draft?"

Feinstein replied to Bradlee that he wasn't aware that the Post had become part of the NFL. Bradlee snarled something nasty, and left.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This rally? No. It'll be a lot of joke-telling and sarcasm and satire. It will a mockally, not a rally.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted