1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ragu if you end up with 2 X 4's and grade a plywood its fine by me . When it comes to furniture I have no taste but I do know people that have a bit. I've seen some place done with Raymour and Flannigan and I was impressed with the price / value.

Since are ready to blow the dust off your money it seems R and F might be too pedestrian for your upscale tastes.

ABC has a much bigger range of stuff that what 21 is seeing on web site. Your can make your place look like everything from eurotrash to upper west side communists.

What you should really do is apply for an episode of queer eye for the straight guy and have the boys help you out.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ragu,

A major consideration is the size of your place and the natural light you get.

How many sq feet is your place? How many rooms? What are the sizes of your individual rooms? Where are you going to spend most of your time?

Buying furniture is a bit like designing a house --you have to start with the site. Plunking oversized furniture in a place with a contemporary design feel is like those people who built McMansions out in the middle of the country. They just look stupid.

I'd just live out of a box until you find exactly what you want and since you live in NYC, you pretty have all the choice one could hope for.

You might look for a store that has the style of furniture you like and find a design/salesperson there with whom you feel sympatico.

And don't neglect the lighting. Lighting can make or break a living space.

Like everything else, God is in the details.

Sounds exciting. Good luck.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boom, Just said we have different tastes, not that you don't have taste. Raymour & Flanigan was quality stuff. Just not my taste. If anything I seem to be more drawn to a lot of places that have cardboard furniture with a nice veneer on it... I'd hardly call myself upscale or you pedestrian. Just a matter of the style I am drawn to for some reason. I'm checking out ABC. I wouldn't be going if I wasn't hoping to find stuff I like. You sure you didn't take that a wee bit personally?

4. The Big Ragu

By the way, I stopped in at Bo Concept on the way home... Just a quick visit. It is Ikea on steroids. All particle board stuff with a nice veneer on it, but with what look like relatively hefty price tags for what I think it might be. It was kind of foofy. A designer sits down with you and everything is modular and customizable down to colors and sizes. The furniture takes 12 weeks to arrive. The salesperson was the most stylized woman I have ever met and ridunkulously hot. She spoke with a thick, but oddly cute, Japanese accent that melted me. I grabbed a catalog, stayed ten minutes longer than I intended to because of her, and think I'll be visiting again, just because. Next time I expect to learn that she lives with four German guys named Dieter, Hans, Gunter and Wolfgang.

5. joe

joe Active Member

You never own your furniture. It owns you.

Better to live light than to be tied to inanimate objects.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One of the bigger furniture stores nationwide just announced it was closing and declaring bankruptcy. Might want to look into that. From what I saw, they're selling leather couches for like 300 bucks. Can't imagine what else they got.

7. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of ABC Carpet. (More proof I am not 21 ;) ) When I first moved to NY, I spent hours in the Broadway store, wishing I could afford to buy half the place. If you walk beyond the frilly Laura Ashley stuff in the front, there are rooms filled with eclectic furniture made from different woods and material, reflecting different cultures and traditions. My favorites came from the far east collection.
    The Bronx outlet store is smaller but has great discounts. Just make sure to park legally. There are always swarms of police giving out tickets; it must be close to a precinct.
    In my next life, I'd love to be a buyer for ABC, traveling the world and selecting pieces. That's how much I adore the place.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

F**k Ikea [/kima]

9. Boom_70

There ya go. Thanks for validating my masculinity GB. I was starting to feel a tad metrosexual and was worried about losing my man card.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Okay, okay, I concede I've never made it past the first floor, which is decidedly Early American SoHo Bordello. I'll go deeper next time. Your man card is safe with me.

11. The Big Ragu

I can't let Gingerbread and 21 be the arbiters of Boom's masculinity. I'll get over to ABC sometime this week...

12. Boom_70

Well 21 has a bit more to go on than my taste in furniture.

Draft saved Draft deleted