1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Rosie, please don't tell me you bought IKEA candles with a Yankee Candle within, say, 12 hours of your residence.

It is totally worth the time to get to Yankee Candle. I love to just smell the place. Yes, I have a female side.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't. But maybe if I sweet-talk someone and tell them about my pitiful journalist wages, they might be able to help me out.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

You know, you can get Yankee Candle candles from Bed, Bath & Beyond, right? :D

Edit: And in the interest of full disclosure, I have a huge lilac-scented candle in each room. I LOVE that smell.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Not to threadjack, but am not a big fan of Yankee Candles. They are carcinogenic and have oil, wax, benzene and all kinds of other stuff in 'em

stumbled on this place while in Newport, RI last year.
    http://www.4gel.com/

gel candles burn much cleaner and they burn longer.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a strong piece of advice.

Sometimes the same goes for shoes.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got one for my daughter. Ditto what Gingerbread said, except for the pumps. My daughter does love that bed.
    Doesn't the remote do something about the firmness of the mattress?

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Mr. Rosie's back is trashed, completely and totally. We got a sleep number bed a few years back and it's been a godsend for him.

Candles. Well, ya see, I was with a group of friends when we went to Ikea and it was a spur of the moment purchase. I have one friend who sells Party Light, and another who makes soy candles -- so I usually get my candles through them.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I love my king-sized sleep number bed. It's why MrsExpendable and I are able to sleep in the same bed.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A couple of things I have been reading are throwing water all over the West Elm idea. Looks like there might be quality issues. The stuff is cheaper than I thought , apparently. They sort of fooled me with the "wood construction," but for example, you might buy a table that is made out of hollowed-out wood. I like the style. Just want stuff that isn't flimsy. It seems like every place that sells stuff in that sparse, small, NY-apartment kind of style is made kind of cheap... Too bad.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

B_R --

In our little household, we're suckers for Arts and Crafts/Mission style furniture. This company, http://www.stickley.com/ is the alpha and omega for same. Beautifully made, but breathtakingly expensive. Lasts forever, though. We wait for the scratch-and-dent, floor demo sales. We'll generally buy one piece a year. The authentic antique Stickley is even more expensive.

That said, here are three strategies for cash-savvy New York furniture buyers.

1) If you like oak furniture - like the Arts and Crafts style specified above - rent a truck and a trailer and go to Kansas and/or Nebraska for a week or ten days. Hit the flea markets and antique stores. You'll find the same furniture for about a quarter of what it costs on the East coast. This is how we furnished our apartment.

2) If you're more a modernist, rent the same truck and trailer and head for High Point, North Carolina. This is the home of furniture manufacture in the US. You can save a ton by buying right from the factory - or the factory outlet centers - and hauling it home yourself.

3) Keep your ear to the ground for big institutional changes in your area. By which I mean this: A library closing or public school remodeling project. Then jump to see if they're going to sell off tables or chairs or cabinets. Sometimes you can even grab stuff for free this way. We have a very resourceful friend who snagged four quarter-sawn oak library tables this way. These are 4'x10' tables built in the late teens. Gigantic. Weigh a ton. Beautiful. He got all four for $10. The dozen solid oak library chairs he got for free.

A thought.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Be practical and buy based on an informal cost/benefit analysis.

Are these furniture pieces that you'll be using extensively yourself? Or is it a case of needing a couch and a recliner for the three nights a year when you're actually entertaining friends?

Spend for quality on the stuff that you're buying for extensive personal use. My girlfriend talked me into buying a very expensive king-size mattress/box spring, but it turned out to be a great investment because it's guaranteed eight restful hours of sleep a night.

On the other hand, I have a living room sofa set that pre-dates my GF, and I overpaid for it. I'm seldom in that room and don't do a lot of entertaining at home, so the furniture mostly collects dust. I would have been better off going cheap on the living room and buying a couple of classy executive desk chairs for the desk in my den.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

jg, I am not of the drive-to-North Carolina-with-a-truck-for-furniture persuasion... but I appreciate anyone who is. I actually wish I was like that... but I am kind of a prissy right now. I just want to snap my fingers and have the place furnished nice and easily, with someone else breaking his back getting the stuff in... I've killed myself double parking and lugging toilets and sinks and tile upstairs because I did all of the shopping myself on the renovation. I'm just tired of it. I've been so involved that during the demo, when I saw the potential to get them out of there in less than two days without destroying the hallways (I live in an uptight co-op and they were doing extensive work on the hallways and redecorating while the work was going on in my place), I was there with a sledge hammer and shovel and loading up buckets for little men who spoke only Spanish who looked like they were going to die from exhaustion... Same thing when the electricians were rewiring the place and channeling through brick and plaster with power tools, doing far more destruction than even the demo guys did... And throughout the work, I have been there pitching in, making the contractor think I am nuts for doing more work than his workers, when I am paying him way too much... I no longer have the time or energy for being Mr. Hands On.

As for the furniture.... The more I look around, the more I am realizing that what I like is considered... *gasp* European. Please, someone, purify me with some boiling tar right now. I'm horrified. Still, I can't help it. My building is old, so I have the high ceilings and even though I opened it up a lot, I retained most of the character with the moldings and touches like that... But I kept it really simple in design. Nothing flashy. Cabinets are a simple shaker style, steel appliances, maximum use of space, etc... It has gone from feeling old and dark to more open and airy. The sparse, contemporary furniture is perfect for the size place I live in and it sits well with my sensibilities (I'm calming my nerves by telling myself that I am more Swedish than French, at least).

Does anyone know anything about Bo Concept? Swedish and Modern, and from the Apartment Therapy site, it looks like a more upscale Ikea, except not pricey beyond my range (lots of customer service complaints, though)... There is a store near where I work, but I haven't gone in yet. How is the quality? Also keeping in mind that this is the style I like, am I missing anyone I should be looking at? I want quality stuff--so I want to avoid the particle board/assemble-your-own-couch--kind of stuff, but I want that style. Does it exist?

Draft saved Draft deleted