1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That makes sense.

We're redoing our den starting this week. A previous owner enclosed a one-car garage, turning it into a den. We're redoing their sloppy work. Once the new windows go in, the built-ins will go up where the garage door once stood.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I bought candles at Ikea (I'm a candle fanatic) and I will never again. They burned way to fast and had hardly any scent.

That being said, I'm probably not much help either. I tend towards antique pieces, I've been fortunate to have a gorgeous Thomasville buffet passed down to me. I remember a roll-top desk from when I was a kid, if I ever find out who has it, I'm making an offer -- whether I can afford it or not!

Before you buy, check the workmanship. Do corners match up evenly? Any nail or screw holes covered? Any chips in the wood? How sturdy is the piece? What kind of warranty? If you're gonna spend the cash, make sure you don't get taken.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I get that much, Rosie. Like on the kitchen cabinets I gave myself an education on dovetail joints and drawer mechanisms and thicknesses of wood... So even blindly starting to look at furniture, in the few stores I have visited, I can tell subtle differences in quality just by examining a little... I'm definitely not the antique type. I'm probably going to buy a platform bed, for example. I also don't have room for a lot of stuff, and even if I did, I'd still go sparse, but functional. I have a strong preference for open spaces over clutter.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just so I can tail on to this thread, any good suggestions for a platform bed with storage? Any pretty good, reputable furniture outlets and/or websites for this?

I could be starting a bedroom/furniture overhaul ... already upgrading electronics and such. I could use better storage possibilities, hence the type of bed.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Ragu, have you checked some Web sites? I hit these two for ideas whenever we're remodeling or furniture shopping ...

http://www.dwr.com/
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I bought my bookcases at Gothic Cabinet Craft, which has stores all over New York City. They're eight feet tall, supposedly solid wood.

However, if you special order be very specific and careful because I didn't get exactly what I asked for. I haven't had problems... yet, but I can see the shelves starting to bow under the weight of all my books just like my old ones did. :-\ However, the price was reasonable so I'd likely do business with them again.

I've also heard that Ikea sells solid wood bookcases, but I think they're unfinished.

After sleeping on a platform bed for 15 years, I recommend not getting one. Or if you do, make damn sure you get a good mattress. There's no place for a box spring, so you're essentially putting your mattress on wood (which I guess isn't very different from the floor). All that "support" is supposed to be good for your back though! ::)

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree completely with PDoll about the platform bed. Bleah. A real box spring under a good mattress can really save your back, and is SO much more comfortable.

ps, don't skimp on mattresses.

8. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I worked in a furniture warehouse through 5-years of college and you wouldn't believe the markup on the stuff. I would say more than a car, appliances or other high-end items.

To the poster who mentioned Bobs discount furniture, not bad, but don't be suprised if it starts to fall apart after 5-years. Its not bad for an apartment, or first home, but that's just my opinion.

Ragu, don't know your price range, but you can check out
    highpointfurniture.com]
    To the poster who mentioned Bobs discount furniture, not bad, but don't be suprised if it starts to fall apart after 5-years. Its not bad for an apartment, or first home, but that's just my opinion.

Ragu, don't know your price range, but you can check out highpointfurniture.com, or aspenfurnituregallery.com. A lot of furniture is made in NC and if you can find a distributor, or find a way to ship it up here, it could save you a bunch of money.

9. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Best piece of furniture I ever bought is my sleepnumber bed. It cost more than some cars, but I hadn't owned a car in 16 years and if the bed isn't right, it messes up my entire day.
    It's a California King with two pods, in case there's another body in the bed, and two remote controls that do things I haven't quite figured out. No matter where I move, even if it's to another country, that bed is coming with me.
    I love it way more than my Christian Louboutin pumps, if you can believe that. (cross thread)

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I don't think most people on a journalist's salary would consider those places moderately priced, at least not for furniture. Accessories maybe. Also, anyone else consider it odd that Crate and Barrel sells neither crates nor barrels?

I do second 21 about never skimping on mattresses. You spend a third of your life on it, and how comfortable it is affects the rest of your day (Ragu, you should really try a quality mattress instead of the floor). My best friend works for Hyatt, and her hotel is about to switch to the Hyatt version of the Westin Heavenly Bed. They're letting employees and their friends and family buy them at cost, just tacking them onto the order, so I have a king size on the way for maybe a quarter of what it would cost retail. Can't wait.

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Just suggesting people check Craig's list (craigslist.com) for cheap and sometimes good furniture. I found a good roll top desk on there for $100, and another, an antique, for $200 in my area.

As for those Hyatt mattresses, AB, do you know if that's a national thing they're doing?

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I assume they're phasing them in. This is a Grand Hyatt, so maybe they're just going into the most high-end properties. But if you know someone, certainly worth asking.

Draft saved Draft deleted