1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Expendable: Sometimes yay, sometimes nay.

I've got some stuff from IKEA that's lasted me three moves across the country and a lot of wear and tear, but is sturdy as hell. I've got some stuff that didn't last six months.

But I'm more satisfied than not with IKEA, for simple, inexpensive, solid furniture.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

The problem with IKEA is you have to go there to get that shit.

Hell on Earth.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

One of my sisters and her husband got most of their living room furniture from there. They love it, and I am full of jealousy that there's not one near where I live.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've had some bad experiences with MrsExpendable's furniture purchases there. I do, however, have a set of glasses I bought there four or five years ago, and I've only broken one, which can't be held against them, being as I dropped it on the driveway.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have an unlimited budget, but I don't need that much stuff, so I am leaning toward quality and getting exactly what I want over skimping. I am not a high-end sort of person because of budget and tastes, but I don't need to go totally cheap on this if it means getting stuff I really like.

Buck, I like Ikea, Door Store, etc... But since I have never done this before and I am not likely to do it often, I am thinking I am going to spend a bit. I'm wary of particle board that looks good, even if it has done a lot of people right.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Oxford bookcases:

[​IMG]

With a nice barrister's for your best/prized stuff.

7. The Big Ragu

Yeah. Bookcases are key. I even thought about having them built into the walls, but decided against it. Place isn't that big and I figured I'd be forcing someone into the built-in bookcases if I ever try to sell it.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Built-ins can actually be a huge plus when selling.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel....all moderately priced good stuff you can really live with. Lots of good accessories to finish the place.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ABC Carpet and Home has wide array of sophiscated furniture styles - it is in flatiron district

Good middle of road stuff at Raymour and Flannigan-

My advise is to don't rush into anything until your renovation is done and you can really envision where everything will go.

11. The Big Ragu

I know. But I thought it could also potentially be a negative when you live in a NYC apartment with limited space. I might choose to blow a big wad of space on them. The next person might prefer that space for something else. I have no plans to sell, and would even like to find a way to keep this place if I eventually go suburban, but in rebuilding the place from scratch, I decided to go nice but without touches like the built-in bookcases. They seemed kind of binding.

12. The Big Ragu

Boom, Renovation is about 90 percent done. I think I can can envision it because I chose every detail and have been really on top of the work. But yeah, I am not rushing anything. Looking around right now. I have never been so involved in something like this. I can't believe that I chose tile and cabinets and granite and fixtures and appliances and colors and a zillion other things... and it all is actually working better than I could have imagined. Everything is clean and simple and (patting myself on he back) well-designed, given that I didn't have a foofy designer or architect advising me.

I did check out Raymour and Flannigan--visited a store. It is totally not me. Way too traditional and ornate. I am more simple and contemporary.

Draft saved Draft deleted