1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furniture recommendations ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am nearing completion of a total demo and renovation of my place that has uprooted my life for almost three months... and with four walls and nothing in between them, I am thinking that to really enter adulthood, I need to get me some real furniture for the first time in my life.

I've never really owned any, so this is a big deal for me. My place was sparse beforehand. A bed (and don't ask why, but if I am alone I sleep on the floor anyhow), an old drafting table to sit at and some homemade bookcases were the major items I tossed.

My tastes are kind of contemporary. I know nothing about buying furniture, other than I visited a few places randomly and I know I don't like ornate traditional stuff. There are also a lot of places that seem to have less expensive stuff that I think was cardboard with a nice veneer pasted on it.

The one place that has stuff I kind of liked the most is West Elm. Does anyone know anything about their furniture? I can't tell if it is quality stuff or overpriced for what it is. If you are familiar with them and know their style in general, are there other places you'd recommend?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The one thing I want eventually - and if we downsize as planned to a smaller house with a bigger office I will get it - is a great writing desk.
    How that helps you, I have no clue. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

We've always gone for durable, kid/dog friendly type stuff. We'll upgrade a little when we do the old folks/condo thing.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The West Elm stuff is decent -- the Mrs. & I own one piece of their furniture - a small cabinet. It's moderately priced, not sure if its overpriced or not.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My sister's ex-husband once told me not to spend money on good furniture because when I found a wife she would hate the furniture on general principle. All I can say is I met my wife 14 years ago and one piece of furniture has survived -- a desk chair that I picked up free on the sidewalk just before I met her when an office on my block was redecorating. And she hates that fucking chair. But she lets me keep it because it's in my walk-in closet to sit on while I put on socks and shoes.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you find your taste tends towards modern design, which West Elm seems to be, you might try Room and Board.

I don't know how the two places compare in terms of quality or price, but I adore Room and Board's stuff, and it seems to hold up well.

6. The Big Ragu

That's probably really good advice, Frank. But one reason why I didn't buy real furniture sooner is that I have let woman rule my life for too long. I can't win with women anyhow. Trust me on that one.

I just want to do something for me for once and start being a grown-up. I have the shiny, new nice place, now. Seems a shame not to at least put in enough new furniture and decorative features to polish it off. If it means anything, I did go out and buy the bigger-screen-than-I-really-need TV to hang on the wall before anything else (the place to hang it isn't even ready for it yet).

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Unless it supports audio/video equipment, I know next to nothing about furniture.

Come to think of it, I know next to nothing, period. Sorry, Ragu.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

How expensive are you looking to go, Ragu? My family swears by Bob's Discount Furniture and I go to my sister's house just to lounge on the couch. My wife and I will be shopping there (Bob's, not my sister's) for a sofa set there in the next couple months.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My wife has to drag me away from rolltop desks when we come across them. I dream of owning an antique rolltop desk.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Harry Burns: Right now everything is great, everyone is happy, everyone is in love and that is wonderful. But you gotta know that sooner or later you're gonna be screaming at each other about who's gonna get this dish. This eight dollar dish will cost you a thousand dollars in phone calls to the legal firm of That's Mine, This Is Yours.

Marie: Harry.

Harry Burns: Please, Jess, Marie. Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid, wagon wheel, Roy Rogers, garage sale COFFEE TABLE.

Jess: I thought you liked it?

Harry Burns: I was being nice!!

11. The Big Ragu

Very quick look, but yeah, that is close... I am glad I started this thread, because that place wasn't on my radar screen. And they have a store in Soho I can visit. Thanks! Some of their stuff looks a bit too modern for me. I tend toward simple more than modern. But if that stuff isn't particle board, that place may offer some possibilities. Thank you for the recommendation.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Only if you want furniture that will last, six months, tops.

Down with Metric Furniture.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted