1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furloughs in Fort Worth

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw this on a friend's Facebook page.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=180224

I hope layoffs don't soon follow. Those two seem to hang around in the same neighborhood.

2. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

Wonder if this will flow across to other McClatchy papers. Several McClatchy papers made relatively-under-the-radar newsroom cuts about two months ago.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Us CNHI drones offer you our knowing sympathies.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can say Gannett papers have had many furloughs without layoffs. I don't think the two are connected, necessarily. Furloughs are a way to avoid more layoffs.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gannett's had at least three rounds of furloughs, and they had three full-blown rounds of layoffs (Aug. 2008, Dec. 2008 and July 2009), with other firings scattered around the country with presses closing, copy desks merged and the shuttering of the one paper in Arizona.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm not sure, but my understanding is they've also had other rounds of furloughs without any layoffs.

7. Dr. Howard

Dr. Howard Member

What I like is when these mealy-mouthed editors ask you to please take your furlough when it's not your busy time. First, I don't have a time when I'm not busy. Second, why would I do you any favors? Third, why would I want to be off if I had a chance of not being overwhelmed on the job for a while? I don't see any of these CEOs taking furloughs or saying, 'Hey, maybe if I stopped raping my employees we could do better work and raise morale.'

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sadly, it's the best of the options out there right now for both sides.

It's better than a straight-up pay cut that a lot of papers have had. At least they get some time off. They can collect unemployment for that week. It's better to get a furlough week every quarter than it is to lose your job.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In flush times, when there was abundant freelance work available that flowed out of my beat, I would have happily taken some furlough time just to catch my breath from a grinding work schedule. Two more weeks off per year? Enough side income to cover me? Sure, why not!

Now, with freelance dried up to a trickle, not so much. But it still beats the pink slip. Or the unilateral pay cut that only comes out of your check, with no commensurate drop in hours.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Man, back from 1998-2003 I usually was turning down or passing off as many freelance stories as I did. I made more than $15K in freelance one year and that was without trying that hard. My last year in the business, I think I had two freelance gigs that I mostly did as favors to friends at other papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted