1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furloughs beginning at CNHI...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tmayforth, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Naturally. Heaven forbid they should look at themselves in the mirror and point the finger at themselves.

2. nomad

nomad New Member

I'm a CNHI employee and have only been employed several months. Our office was given the news of furloughs also and it has me concerned. What has me even more concerned is our publisher saying he did not know what was going to happen after June 30. Some employees seem to think a worse case scenario is doing the five day furlough again. What is everyone's thoughts about the future of a position at CNHI if I am the low dog on the totem pole? The mandatory furlough is going to be hard enough on me. I guess what I am wondering is what are your thoughts on the future of employment at CNHI and should I get something going on the back burner? Any information you can provide will be appreciated.

Thank You

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if you're in this business and don't have something cooking on the back burner, you're high.

4. nomad

nomad New Member

Thanks for the information on the matter.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's free today, just like community journalism.

6. nomad

nomad New Member

I hear that. One question I had though is do you think the publisher knows what will happen after June 30 and is just trying to keep people in check for as long as possible or does he not have a clue what is going to happen? I do know he visited Alabama recently for some sort of meeting of publishers. I just can't afford to lose my job. If there is a chance I am going to I need to get something else cooking before it does happen.

Also, don't know if it matters or not, but I work for a small, daily with a circulation of around 6k.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a publisher at CNHI knows what you about three days before you know.

8. nomad

nomad New Member

So your saying more than likely he doesn't know if heads will roll at the end of June or not?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he has no clue, and neither do the dickheads in birmingham. it all depends on which way the wind will be blowing come june.

10. nomad

nomad New Member

Thanks for the information. I got a few connections in state government so I may try to go that route before it is too late. I really enjoy the work I do but if, in the future, it don't pay the bills, I need to get out.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

at least have an out at a minimum.

12. nomad

nomad New Member

"We are asking our unions to voluntarily agree to similar arrangements for the employees they represent. If our unions agree, this will help us avoid future layoffs."

I ran across this while doing a little research of my own. What are your thoughts on the unions going along with this? Let me say I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about this. I am recently a new home owner and this news has my cage rattled tremendously.

Draft saved Draft deleted