1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny sportswriter tales, Araton meets McEnroe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carlkolchak, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

In Jack Dempsey's outstanding bio by Roger Kahn "A Flame of Pure Fire", it described one of his training camps with all the boxing writers there covering the daily happenings and at night the writers would play cards and booze up and inevitably start to argue and debate boxing issues to the point that they would eventually engage in fistfights among themselves. True story! Those were the days...

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Did a feature on a local guy who fought MMA, a solid pro who fought in a handful of PPVs. He was known for a particular choke hold and I asked him to put me in it -- not with any kind of pressure, obviously, but just a frame of the hold. My neck hurt for three days.

Carlkolchak likes this.
  3. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

UFC has got to be the most violent dangerous sport on earth. UFC to boxing is like Chess to checkers.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say more like barroom brawl to checkers.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Conor McGregor choked me out and I felt funny the rest of the day. Like, it's not like you wake up and feel fine. I could still feel his arm on my neck when I went to bed that night. It's a really strange feeling, having been that possessed by another human being.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd rather face Isner's serve than McEnroe's in his prime. The lefty bullshit is too much for me.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Look, a girl!

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Except McEnroe's would just be unreachable, not painful. Isner's coming at you is going to leave a mark.

Carlkolchak likes this.
  9. Carlkolchak

Carlkolchak Member

Pete Sampras once served one that went THROUGH the strings on Patrick Rafter's Prince racquet. Clear THROUGH. Don't believe it? It's on You Tube.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Seems plausible if the things are about to break anyway.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My neighbor broke the webbing of my mitt with a throw once.

12. Raiders

Raiders Member

Got the link? Or is your Link Button broken?

Draft saved Draft deleted