1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny phone call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

So I had to call a business today to confirm their address and make sure I was headed to the right place later today. It's something I do sometimes if it's a place I'm unfamiliar with and not sure exactly where its located.

Me: My name is Rusty and I'm with xxx. I just wanted to confirm that you were still at xxx address.
    Woman: Who did you say you're with?
    Me: xxx
    Woman: And why did you want our address?
    Me: Because I'm supposed to be coming by there later. I just wanted to make sure the address I found was accurate.
    Woman: How did you get our phone number?
    Me: Internet.
    Woman: And it didn't have our address listed?
    Me: Yes, but I wanted to make sure it was accurate. A lot of places have out-of-date websites.
    Woman: Can you mail me something so I can confirm it that way?
    Me: Well, you'd have to give me your address to mail you something.
    Woman: Well, I don't feel comfortable doing this over the phone.
    Me (growing exasperated): Well, we could do it in person if you'd give me your business' address.
    Woman: No, I don't think so.
    Me: Then how am I supposed to come to your business if you won't tell me where you're at?
    Woman: I'm sorry, I just don't feel comfortable giving out that information over the phone. *click*

All I wanted was their address, with the obvious follow-up of how exactly to get there. What kind of business won't give its address to somebody over the phone? How does such a business attract customers to its mystery location? How do they stay in business? This woman has left me absolutely baffled.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think you called a crack house.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Maybe it was a brothel.

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Please follow up with us on what happens when you go there today. Assuming it exists and you can get in.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why did you say you were "coming by" there?

Where you going there on business to do a story? Were you going there to buy something?

Maybe she thought you were wanting to serve a subpoena on her or something.

6. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Is it a NetFlix facility? Fewer people know where those are than who know where Hoffa was buried.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What type of business is it?

Certainly there can be all sorts of scenarios with this one. Could very well be just a dumbass secretary...or perhaps something different all together.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Perhaps it was Baron Scicluna's idiot drug-dealing neighbors. Call back and tell them to keep the noise down.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Call a massage parlor [/crossthreading]

Draft saved Draft deleted