1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny People

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Saw it today and completely agree with this sentiment. I was surprised by the reaction and thought, eh, that's weird and out of place.
    Definitely 30-45 minutes WAY too long. And the Aussie hubby bothered me. Couldn't buy into the whole flip-flopping of feelings.

2. BRoth

BRoth Member

It probably wasn't that much considering the whole budget, but they did A LOT of viral stuff for this movie - from mini mockumentaries to very serious Web sites, trailers for fake movies, fake TV shows, etc. It's pretty incredible how in-depth it all was. It all adds up.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

just saw it and loved it.

the subtle bits and jokes are outstanding

4 stars out of 5.

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

He's infatuated, but he's in, so to speak, and begins reverting to the snarky comedian side. It's a part of him that made him both famous and such an asshole, which is why he reacts to the video that way.

What I liked about this movie is that it was a story that took a while. Enough bits, spread out, to hit little peaks throughout to keep the story fresh. I liked it a lot. I'll see it again.

5. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

Thought it was hilarious. Every Jonah Hill-Seth Rogen exchange was hysterical. And the James Taylor part was classic. Yea, it was long, but there weren't many lulls and the casting was good. Loved RZA, Bana and Schwartzman's roles.

6. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Subtract awful, AWFUL Jason Schwartzman, add a little more Jonah Hill and it's a 10 for me. The drama was decent, though a bit jilted at the end. The subtle comedy was incredible. Just about every throw-away line before a cut had me dying. Seth Rogen is the best at saying things under his breath.

Sandler was adequate, about as good as he could've been considering he's Adam Sandler. His whole zippity-doo schtick just does nothing for me.

Overall, a 7.8/10.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dead. To. Me.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The premise of the column is ridiculous.
    If someone makes a movie about a 40-year-old virgin, that isn't necessarily a vehicle for the pro-abstinence crusade. That is the same argument conservative use when they claim a movie that involves teens having sex is an attempt to encourage teen hypersexuality.
    The argument doesn't make sense no matter which side your arguing.
    A movie that includes a character not having an abortion is not necessarily an anti-abortion movie.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I think the only reason he's infatuated with his ex-wife is because he's about to die. When he finds out he is not, that's when he starts to second-guess the whole thing again. That scene was a way of displaying that shift.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I like the various titles/plots of the Sandler character's recent movies ... Mer-Man, and the one where he's a baby. Fairly spot-on send-up of what happens when a good comedian gets too famous and starts making obviously shitty kids movies (*cough*Eddie Murphy*cough*)

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But there was nothing funny or mockable about the kid's performance. She was good. If she had been horribly off-key or had fallen on her ass, then it makes some sense. But to have it be so random ruined the movie for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted