1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny People

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Anyone going to see this?

This has potential to be the most depressing movie ever created.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was wondering last night if anyone had started a thread about this. I'd pay to watch Apatow direct a movie about the phone book. Is this supposed to be much more drama than comedy though? I get that idea from the trailer.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'd watch this if Adam Sandler, one of the five least likeable people in the history of American cinema, wasn't in it.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pumped to see this. Looks like perfect roles for Sandler and Rogen, which isn't shocking considering their relationships with Apatow. I think it will be funny, just not in the same way as The 40-year-old Virgin.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I mostly hate Adam Sandler movies...unless he's doing something semi-dramatic. I think he's likeable and talented, but he makes a lot of money doing stuff targeted straight at 13-year-old boys. I can't fault him for it. He's made a wildly successful career out of it. I just can't sit through most of it.

This, I suspect will actually be quite good.

6. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

I think Bana's character looks hysterical as well.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I will probably wind up seeing this. I can take Sandler when he doesn't try to act all goofy. It worked in his first three big hits, but that act has worn on me. I actually like him better in stuff like Punch-Drunk Love and Reign Over Me. Looking over his filmography, he's been in some shitty, shitty comedies.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Best line from one of the commercials.
    I think it was by Eric Bana's character.
    "He's really funny. How can a guy that be funny be in such shitty movies."
    From reading about the movie Sandler is basically playing himself with a different name. Footage from Remote Control, old SNLs, that sort of thing is used throughout the film in flashbacks.
    My understanding is that they even made a parody Sandler movie for Funny People that just rips the crap Sandler normally puts out.
    I have a strange feeling that this movie will be incredibly polarizing. Love it or hate it with no in between. My best guess is that since Punch-Drunk Love is one of my all-time faves, I will love Funny People.

9. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I'm pretty interested in it. I'll go see it.

I've heard nothing but good things from the advanced reviews. Looks like a pretty good balance of comedy and drama from the previews.

10. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

I'm kinda intrigued, for no other reasons than A. they let Eric Bana use his native accent (the man does a stellar American accent, but I do loves me some Aussies) and B. they're letting Eric Bana be FUNNY, which is how he made his name back in Oz.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

Sandler and Apatow were roommates when starting out in LA
    I hear some of the footage of Sandler making crank calls is real from when they were young

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Comedy Central aired an hour-long look at Funny People last night.
    Apatow kept video diaries for every day of production and it mixed old pictures and video he filmed of when him and Sandler lived together.
    It was incredibly hilarious.

Also check out:
    http://www.laughyourdickoff.com/
    It is also connected with the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted