1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny Lupica and Emmert stories from the Final Four

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What is journalism?

I ask sincerely. Is Bill Simmons a journalist? Is original reporting a required element of journalism?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not lauding Simmons' body of work. I never really have. But, yes, I think other journalists see him as a journalist. A rather well-paid, popular one. And I'd see an editor as a journalist; I assume the folks who now work for him see him that way.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's only my definition, but yes, I regard reporting as an essential element of the journalist's duties. It doesn't mean Simmons has to go cover high school softball, just that he has to have either done so or demonstrated the ability to do that kind of scut work. Fires on Christmas Eve, big car accidents, stupid weather stories, all the school figures of the job.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Didn't Bill Simmons do all that scut work for your former employer?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Editors are journalists, too.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bill Simmons is an editor.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, you're right. But Simmons makes it under the impresario/ESPN oracle exception.

Snark aside, I'm comfortably sure Simmons talks to a lot of NBA folks every week, and some of what they think becomes what he thinks and makes it into his columns.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

My point to dragging Simmons in, mind you, was simply: Nailing Lupica for writing columns based on what he saw on TV involves more folks than it used to. And it directly involves Simmons, who's made his career on staying out of clubhouses and locker rooms, to the extent that he's questioned what can be gained from them.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly. Nailing Mike Lupica shouldn't require dragging hundreds, maybe thousands, of other hard-working, good journalists down with him. Think about many of the Boston Marathon columns we've seen today from people hundreds of miles away.

Lupica's columns are lazy, disjoined and ham-fisted. That's enough.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Shoot. You got deeper into one of his columns than I could in the last ten years. Too many "those people in that time in that place" kind of sentences. No thanks.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Well, to drive this thread further off the tracks ...

The "stringing words together based on personal opinions/observations with cultural references and footnotes" of our time, Bill Simmons.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I'm not a big Loop fan, but I'm not sure he deserves to have eavesdroppers running to a message board to report everything they heard him say, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted