1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny Lupica and Emmert stories from the Final Four

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GRUDGE, Apr 11, 2013.

1. GRUDGE

GRUDGE Member

Sorry it took so long to post this, but I immediately thought of you all.

Lupica was running around bitching like a spoiled elitist because he was upstairs. Now I don't like what they are doing to the journalists, BUT Lupica's reaction certainly helped ease the pain.

As far as Emmert, any time he was walking/standing they cleared the way of everyone, including the journalists. It was like he was being followed by the secret service. He would stand in the hall and look smugly at those waiting to pass as he stood outside the traditional press area at the dome that was reserved for the NCAA. Security guard was asked the if President Obama was around (the first time) and he said, No, just the ego maniac who runs the NCAA. I think, that he thinks, he is Obama.”

Emmert is such a tool. I don't want to get anyone in trouble so I won't be specific, but if you know anyone at the NCAA ask them about him. Have now heard some great stories.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Emmert was roasted when he addressed the media at the tournament in Indy. Let in a huff.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Heard about Loopy pitching a fit... heh

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Emmert wears makeup so he looks good on TV.

Emmert, as far as I can remember, is the first NCAA president to plop his pompous ass down at the scorer's table. He got a lot of good TV time (hence, the makeup).

One of the perks the NCAA demands at Final Fours is a "green room" for the NCAA president. Under Emmert's watch, he gets TWO green rooms.

Emmert commandeered 100s of prime tickets that used to go to past members of the bkb committee. That's why celebs like JayZ, Will Farrell, Paul Rudd and Steve Carrell got front row seats (though not as good a seat as Emmert has.)

The guy is a gas bag show pony who already has created several messes that his successor will have to clean up. As the USA Today story detailed, he's a scorched earth kinda guy.

His press conference performance in Atlanta was embarrassing for someone supposed to be a "leader." Though it was as embarrassing as the "official" transcript deleting two of his smart ass comments.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

The bottom line, Mark Emmert would be a perfect fit as a modern-day newspaper publisher. He has all the prickish qualities plus Teflon accountability.

6. Lupica was sitting court side (third row) at 1995 Final Four in Seattle. Wasn't his seat and when columnist showed up to take the seat, Lupica said "you can have mine over there," pointing to a corner seat with a lousy view. When columnist politely refused, Lupica simply grabbed a chair and moved between the columnist and another writer.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

On a side not, Lupica's morning show on ESPN radio is horrible.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just stunned Lupica traveled to an event.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The journalist of our time, Bill Simmons, doesn't travel anywhere, sit in press conferences or conduct interviews. Not sure why Lupica gets knocked for it now.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"The journalist of our time." Must have missed that vote.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I weep for the future of our country if that's the case.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Alma wanted to call Simmons "the commentator of our time" that'd be debatable but OK. But "journalist" does imply a certain amount of pure reporting work.

Draft saved Draft deleted