1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny lede to a story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, May 21, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I thought this was funny and wanted to share. And yes, I am Marilyn Lewis since I know you're gonna ask.

By Marilyn Lewis
    MSN Money
    Question: What do newspaper editors and car thieves have in common?

Answer: dead-end careers.

Car thefts across the U.S. are dropping fast. And not just by a little. Most (83%) of the country's 366 urban areas reported fewer thefts in 2009 than the year before, continuing a trend that began in 1991.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Insurance/InsureYourCar/tough-times-for-auto-thieves.aspx

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

From a throw-away story about a 1995 varsity-alumni basketball game at a high school back in NJ, names changed to protect the innocent:

John Smith can't go right, can't go left and has trouble making foul shots and layups.
    How the heck did he ever score 1,000 points for Central High in 1963?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So a lede is making an inside joke and is in the form of a question?

I had a few college professors and a few editors that might have frowned at that one.

I did always want to write a lede that read...

Bumble High School quarter back Billy Smith, who sucks, has a tough decision about where he will play college football this fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted