1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funny Games

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bad Guy Zero, Mar 15, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would not put Scream in the same genre as Saw or Hostel. But that's just me.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I recommend Red Eye, which Wes Craven wrote and directed. It's PG-13, which normally turns me off, but it's a really well-done suspense movie that takes place on a plane (sans snakes). Not quite as post-modern as Scream, but a 21st century horror movie that takes place on a plane works on many levels.

Plus, the whole thing is a homage to Scream. It sounds ilke an exercise in egotism, but Craven is just ironic enough and self-aware enough to pull it off and make it entertaining.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I just saw Funny Games.

A pretty interesting mindfuck.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I just don't have the stomach for any type of gore.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not much gore at all in Funny Games.

You don't see the worst stuff. It gets a well-deserved R, but it's almost all psychological.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So's your face.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

walked right into that one, little buddy.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It happens, big buddy.

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I enjoyed this movie. It had an eerie psychologial edge to it (the all-white outfits and golf gloves were a nice touch), and it broke the mold of the protagonists always coming out on top. Having the antagonist win out in the end always is a nice touch. Something different.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

What did you think of the breaking of the fourth wall and the rewind scene?

Draft saved Draft deleted