1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funniest thing you couldn't laugh at

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Fixed

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm in the men's room at an SEC football pressbox. I thought the guy at one of the other urinals was the only other person in there with me. Then we start hearing grunting coming from one of the stalls. And by grunting I mean it sounds like the guy is giving birth in there. Groaning, moaning, gasping for breath. He had to be white-knuckling the side of the bowl.

Without turning my head I glance at the guy next to me and he's doing the same two things I am: a) trying not to laugh out loud b) trying not piss on his shoes.

All I can do is stare at the wall because I know if I make eye contact with the guy next to me we'll both lose it. Meanwhile it sounds like scene out of Aliens behind us.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Funniest thing I couldn't laugh at?

Working funerals as an altar boy with one particular friend. It was great -- you got off from class, sometimes you got a tip -- but damn, this guy was a genius at whispering some fucking remark that would have me biting my tongue not to lose it in front of the grieving relatives.

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Have you never laughed a Richard Pryor and Dave Chappelle? Never. Never ever?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Any exuse my stepson makes when he does something selfish and thoughtless.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is this guy your stepson?

[​IMG]

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got another one. ...

I worked in this kitchen during high school. With me one night was my best friend, Jeff, another buddy, Bill, and this handicapped gentleman named Stu. Jeff and I were, obviously, in high school and Bill was motoring his way through his fourth year in a community college. Stu was suffering from a genetic disease, which contorted his spinal chord and severely altered his walking (I think it was spina bifida, but I'm not sure anymore). Stu, about 40, was a fucking sweetheart, though -- always cheerful, helpful and offering a nice word to those who returned the favor.

We were closing up one night and he signed out early, then headed to the bathroom to get his coat and hat. When he was gone, Bill, who was the biggest dickhead on staff, started limping like Stu, and saying, "I'm Stu. I'm a retard. ..." When Bill stopped talking, it got real quiet, and Stu came out of the bathroom and yelled, "I'm still in the building."

Oh, fuck. I looked at Jeff, who was also a dickhead, and we froze. We liked Stu. We liked Bill. But we also liked not boarding a one-way bus to Hell.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I was chuckling with the first couple post in here, but then this gem came out...

But then my chuckling was restored after many other posts in this thread. Good work folks.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

There's a pretty big difference between Pryor and Chappelle's comedy and the "joke" tonysoprano's friend made. Soprano's friend made a simple, racist remark. And, even if it weren't racist, it just plain wasn't funny.

If you can't see the difference between what Richard Pryor or Chappelle joke about and what Tonysoprano thought was so funny, well, I can't help you.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

So jokes about whites are OK, but jokes about blacks, Hispanics, gays and Muslims aren't?
    OK, check please.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Exactly. That is exactly what I meant. You nailed it.

Let me spell it out for you: When a comedian stands up on stage and does a routine that includes setups, punchlines, etc., yes, that is certainly more acceptable than the example provided by tonysoprano. If you don't care for that kind of humor, you don't pay to see the comedian.

If some racist fool sees a middle eastern person and remarks, "When did we start hiring Al Qaeda," that is not a joke. It's not even funny, first of all. Secondly, it's simply racist.

Honest question here: Would you find it funny if the company had hired a black man and the coworker asked, "When did we start hiring gangbangers?"

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Did we not take the Al Qeada comment as a joke? I read it as the guy wasn't being serious, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted