1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funniest book you've ever read...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by n8wilk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. [​IMG]

Itself alone.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wish I shared everyone's love for Beth Cooper here. I mean, it was ok. But it felt like a John Hughes comedy, like it would have been much funnier 20 years ago.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I, myself, was a pretty mild Sedaris fan until I saw him read in person. I've re-read everything since and enjoyed it all much, much more.

When You Are Engulfed In Flames, the newest one, was damn funny, too.

4. Double Down

The essay about the water getting turned off and having to use the water from Hugh's flowers, which ends with "I'm all the beauty he'll ever need" is one of the sweetest, funniest things he's ever written, and hearing read him live made it that much better. When he and Paul go and buy weed from the couple in the trailer, he does the voices of the drug dealers, and dear lord, I was laughing so hard I was crying.

5. DD --
    Guns or knives over Confederacy Of Dunces?
    Your choice.

6. Double Down

Crossbows at 50 paces?

Actually, your love of Going After Cacciatto (which I liked, just not as much as Things They Carried) got me to pull it down off the shelf the other day and put on my nightstand. So perhaps I'll give Ignatius J. Reilly another shot.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You do realize that Ignatius J. Reilly would have despised The Wire, right?

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Glad to see folks sticking up for Confederacy of Dunces. The fact that my then-girlfriend loved this book, too, helped convince me it was time to get married.
    Many years later, whenever she's pissed at me, I can still pull out "you fail to comprehend the uniqueness of my worldview" as a get-out-of-jail-free card.
    Long live the squirrel-rat!

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm first in line for the Ferris book in my library system. My thanks.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That was good, but "The Lost Continent" was better. And I am ashamed to admit I had never reade Hiaasen until checking out "The Downhill Lie" from the library this week. I suspect I'll need to backfill.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hiaasen is a facile talent.

My sole problem with him is that given his sustained adherence to
    South Florida as a backdrop, the books wind up sounding very
    similar, after a while. Not as much of an offender as, say, Dick Francis, but it is what it is.

Still happy to have been exposed to him. Dude can flat-out write.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Any more than Lehane with Boston, B_H?

Draft saved Draft deleted