1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funniest book you've ever read...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by n8wilk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

"I love you, Beth Cooper," a novel by Larry Doyle, who's a Simpsons writer. It's going to be a movie this summer, I believe, with Hayden Panettiere.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Yes to both. Dorsey's books are good but they just seem like rewrites of Hiaasen's stuff. Love Jenkins, particularly Semi-Tough and Life It's Ownself. Dead Solid Perfect is recommended for the Needhams if nothing else.

3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

It's a fun, quick read. I cranked through that on a 2-hour flight.

4. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

If short stories count ...

Alexander McCall Smith, who wrote the "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency," wrote a collection of short stories called "Heavenly Date and Other Flirtations."

Among the collection is "Nice Little Date" - about a rock star who attempts to seduce a teenage girl - and "Far North" - in which a date to an alligator farm goes worse than anyone expects.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

"You Gotta Play Hurt," by Dan Jenkins
    "Sex. Drugs and Cocoa Puffs," by Chuck Klosterman

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

I will third "Beth Cooper." Hated the ending, but a very quick read and a funny one at that.

This one mixes great, great humor with some sad, real life stuff: "Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers.

7. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If your friend is a girl, recommend "Asking for Trouble" by Elizabeth Young. It's the book that the movie the Wedding Date (with Debra Messing) was based on. The book was sooooo much funnier than the movie.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The Turner Diaries was a side-splitting gut-buster for me. But that's just me.

9. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Hey, I work with that guy's brother (John is a photog at the Sun Herald)! But I'm ashamed to say I've never read any of his stuff. I'm a looser.

I'll mention Vonnegut.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

If he/she wants something more on the literature side as opposed to a throwaway beach read, I offer two of my all-time favorite books: Catch-22 and A Confederacy Of Dunces. Both repeatedly laugh-out-loud funny.

And ifilus is right, Vonnegut is always good for a laugh. I like Timequake.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Here's another vote for Beth Cooper.

Draft saved Draft deleted