1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funniest book you've ever read...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by n8wilk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The Satanic Verses.

2. DavidPoole

DavidPoole Member

All of Hiaasen's books. And Dead Solid Perfect by Dan Jenkins, the single funniest book ever in my mind.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

4. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

'Bat Bomb' by Jack Couffer... "One of the most extraordinary military operations ever conceived - quote Life Magazine". What could be funnier than dropping plane loads of bats armed with incendiaries on Japanese wood cities. Oh those funny pasty patriot overweight overpaid pentagon knee slappers were up to 1942 hijinx hilarity again.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Funniest I've read is "Tourist Season" by Carl Hiaasen, but just about any of his are hilarious.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If he's into light reading that he can finish in an afternoon, I suggest War and Peace.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm happy to reproduce the message-board version for everyone's entertainment.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I laughed while reading Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, but if you're not really left-wing, I doubt it's funny (well, maybe a chapter or two might be, but as a whole it won't be).

I also really enjoyed John Hodgman's "The Areas of My Expertise," but it's not really a laugh out loud kind of book, more of a giggle or smile kind of book. He's the PC guy in the Mac commercials.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank you. To not give proper respect to EARLY Jenkins in this context would be criminal.

10. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

Al Franken's "Why Not Me: The Making and Unmaking of the Franken Presidency" made me laugh non-stop.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Yes, yes, yes. Particularly his masterwork, "Naked."

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Summer of '42" by Herman Raucher. It was a novelization of his own screenplay and I think it was released in advance of the film, but it's a great work in its own right - and very funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted