1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funniest book you've ever read...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by n8wilk, Apr 4, 2009.

1. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

A friend of mine is down in the dumps and I was hoping to find a book that might serve as some sort of therapy.

Anyone have any good recommendations?

I've read some of David Sedaris, but I'm looking for some serious gut-busting, laugh-out-loud humor.

Thanks in advance.
  2. John

John Well-Known Member

Tim Dorsey's Florida crime novels are hilarious and most of Dan Jenkins' books are very, very funny, too. If you can find Semi-Tough, start with that.
  3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Carlin's books are hilarious.
  4. Anything by David Sedaris.
  5. Jeff Pearlman's "Boys Will Be Boys" definitely had its moments.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To go in a completely different direction Ickey, try P.G. Wodehouse. Try his golf stories, if you can find 'em (not hard). You have to laugh reading his stuff.
  7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Sein Language by Jerry Seinfeld
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Another different direction. A mostly forgotten writer because he did all of his good stuff in the 70s (kept writing after, but his later stuff sucks) is Tom Sharpe. He is a British guy who got kicked out of South Africa for parodying the apartheid government in some really hysterical books. His funniest book has nothing to do with that. It's called "Wilt." I first read "Wilt" during a really down period it had me laughing out loud. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just funny as hell. I'd also add some of Carl Hiassen's books to any list. Tourist Season, Skin Tight, Strip Tease, etc...
  10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Selecting from some novels likely to achieve something resembling enduring importance:

Catch-22 (still, the last Great American Novel)
    Portnoy's Complaint
  11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and for all its flaws, and despite the subject matter . . . Ball Four is a very funny book.
  12. lono

lono Active Member

"Native Tongue" — Carl Hiaasen
Draft saved Draft deleted