1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funky Winkerbean - warning: spoilers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Oct 4, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sigh. If I have to explain it...Winkerbean is a strip that has evolved over time, hence this thread. Seems hard to outgrow that while still reading the exploits of Billy and Jeffy. Last I saw they were still spilling ice cream and passing the blame. But I outgrew that, so maybe they have grown up and are hot-wiring cars now. I really don't know.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Billy and Jeffy got jobs playing Goofus and Gallant in dinner theater.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You react how you react. Nothing wrong with that at all. I get where you are going and I know that far too many of will be reminded of something painful when we read something like this. I know I did and I appreciate you pointing it out. I don't read the strip, but I spent some time reading back through the strips related to this character's illness and death.

But these threads do also take on a life of their own, and many of us have been touched by fictional stories as much as our real ones. Like Farley's death. Or Gwen Stacy, Captain America or Captain Marvel (Marvel Comics version) in comics. Done well, these are powerful stories that allow us to touch on an emotional place that we hope to avoid as much as possible in the real world. And maybe they help us deal with those real moments, or the memories that come later, just a little bit.

Ok. Maybe I'm being too serious now, too.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Dolly is now a featured dancer at the Mitchell Brothers Theater in SF. Billy and Jeffy operate a meth factory in upstate New York. PJ is playing the role of Stewie in the upcoming Broadway adaptation of "Family Guy."

Speaking of comics, there is an upcoming Charles Schulz biography that's probably headed for my Christmas list.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I ain't waitin'. Already pre-ordered from Amazon.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Anything in that cartoon that happened after April, 1976 is a spoiler to me.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

If you really want to know what happened to Jeffy, Billy and Dolly check out Pearls Before Swine :D

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Feeling kind of melancholy about this, even though I stopped paying attention a few years ago, for whatever reason. I had it in my San Diego paper in the '90s and paid attention to it after moving away (online, since my local paper didn't run it). It turned into something akin to "Mary Worth" in its last years rather than the more amusing strip it started out as, but still a good 50 years from the artist. Now, I need to go back and see how the characters ended up.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Excellent return to a thread that originated 15+ years ago.

Haven't gone past the first page yet, but I will. Good takes from our distant past. :)

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I’ve read a lot of Funky Winkerbean over the years. It started out as a proto fast times at ridgemont high, but it turned “serious” about 20 years ago. It’s had some excellent story lines including the already mentioned Lisa’s cancer arc. Another was the saga of Wally Winkerbean coming back to Westview after being a prisoner of war. Another was the last painful years of the character Bull, the one time antagonist in the series, who suffered from dementia before possibly taking his own life.

However, there were a lot of shit story lines, especially involving Les Moore, who became the star of the strip, so basically I wouldn’t read for months at a time. While I liked the ending, a better ending would have been les being set adrift on a ice flow to die.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted