1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funky Winkerbean - warning: spoilers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It would be nice to read some of this stuff without resorting to a hand-held magnifier.

2. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Thanks for the update on that MM. I had forgotten about Grandma, but I wasn't reading the strip at the time.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think the biggest problem plaguing comics today is there's no obvious next generation coming in, and there's little space to allow newcomers in because the old guard won't stand down. BC and The Wizard of Id go on despite Johnny Hart's death. Dennis the Menace plods along even though Hank Ketchum has been dead since 2001 (and the strip still bears his name). Hi and Lois, Marmaduke, Beetle Bailey, the serial strips, all of them stay alive in some form even though their creators' deaths should have ended their stay on the page.

The good strips retire because the creators understand that once the strip leaves their control, there's no getting it back, and it's better to have it go out too early than fade into eternal mediocrity (Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, Bloom County/Opus, Fox Trot as a daily). The already mediocre strips can continue into perpetuity because they're so mundane and hackeneyed, pretty much anyone can plug in the ad nauseum punchlines and plot twists.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

O, you just don't get Nancy.

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Y'all are welcome to take this thread wherever you want it, but to honest with you I didn't think it would turn into a discussion of comics from style and era vs. comics of another style and era.
    When I started this topic I thought it might go to some deeper, more human level. But it's not my thread. It belongs to everyone ... so ... carry on ... I guess.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nancy is just awful. Beyond awful. Whatever is six degrees beyond awful...that doesn't even describe how bad Nancy is.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Sluggo hitting it? Or Aunt Fritzi?

Bad threadjack. Sorry. This is a serious thread. I've felt bad all day.

8. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Maybe I misjudged. Maybe it's TOO serious. Maybe it was self-serving on my part.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I haven't been a fan of the Funky strip for some years, but as a fan of the genre, I'd look, and thought the fellow guiding that ship did a fine, sensitive job with the current plot line up to this point. Think respect has been paid, and further respect will be paid.

10. Murray the K

Murray the K New Member

Thought you'd like to see one guy's snarky take on today's Funky and FBOFW ...
    http://www.joshreads.com/

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

That said, there are folks (including myself) who LOVE the genre, and bewail what's happened to it. In a way, that's yet another "death in the family", and it's really too bad.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I do think that her death was handled in a supremely classy way.

I'm worried about Les, though. He seems about to go off the deep end.

Draft saved Draft deleted