1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funky Winkerbean - warning: spoilers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bill Horton, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

According to earlier pronouncements by the author, FBOFW should have been wrapped up and put to bed a while ago. Evidently, she responded to outside influences, but can't see how it can be extended much longer, from this point forward.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Funky's prevailing male lead outkicks his coverage in his next marriage, guarantee that'll be the last time I come CLOSE to glancing at the thing.

There is a limit to BS, even in the comics.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The cry of "Bring Back Moon Mullins" -- as a CONTINUITY strip, not merely a daily gag -- is heard, throughout the land (or at least throughout my office).

4. rallen13

rallen13 Member

Don't read the strip very often and so I haven't seen Doc lately, he may be gone for all I know. I do know that the old miserly skinflint, Pert, died about a year and a half ago, and his son/nephew (?) has become the bad guy in his place. The only ones who don't seem to have aged at all are Joel, the old junkman, and his slow-witted, donut eating friend Rufus ("Fetch the jug, Rufus."), who carries around the cat. Come to think of it, the cat, Kitty, hasn't aged either. Must be older than Garfield by now.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Third death, actually. Farley in the 90's and Grandma Marian (Jim's wife) a few years ago. That's when Jim moved to Millborough and met, then married Iris.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, not like he's a babe magnet like Fred Thompson or anything.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Little known FBOFW trivia:

Farley met his demise in the octagon at Bad Newz Kennels.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone posting to this board, with some of the crappy threads that go on for pages, really can't bash a Funky Winkerbean thread. I heard for Better or for Worse is getting phased out as well. I can't think of a comic strip that has debuted and achieved icon status since Bloom County. I think part of it is the decline of newspapers, rise of graphic novels and increase in animated TV shows. Sad really.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Decline of the amount of space dedicated to the comics, as well.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was awful. And awfully funny!!!

I need to tell this story again. I was driving cross-country on spring break with three buddies in April 1995 when Farley died. I can't remember who read it first, but whomever it was said "holy shit! You guys have got to read this!" Then four almost grown men drove around the deep south for a day talking about FBOFW and how bummed we were about Farley kicking it.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . wifey fits like a glove with the current listing of FT's recent lobbying clientele and other
    relevant character evidence. Another guy who wants to be annointed, and is amazed the
    populace isn't genuflecting, en masse.

Now, back to the joys of Krazy Kat.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Isn't that among the reasons why Bill Watterson quit?

Draft saved Draft deleted