1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Funeral coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice post, jfs.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This is a tragedy, and like so many articles about funeral coverage, it is normally done in poor taste and this one is no exception.

Huntsie, there are reports in Nova Scotia that one of the deceased is from Halifax. Is that true?

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

The person who wrote this was a "senior reporter?" Holy shit, bust him/her down to freshman.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember reading about this accident but this piece, is well, just beyond awful. Trite. Banal.

"Vale of tears"?

"Old chestnut"?.

How does this crap get by an editor?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's bad, but I hesitate to clobber someone for what they wrote about the funeral of four 16-year-old kids.

People do become genuinely overwhelmed, even tough, professional hacks.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They shouldn't have been writing about it in the first place. Want to cover Kennedy's funeral? Fine. But to cover a funeral for four kids whose parents I'm sure couldn't give a shit about whether it's in the paper? Hackery of the highest order.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Zeke,

Huntsie said it was written by a "senior reporter".

You could forgive kid for writing like this but a SENIOR reporter?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How many funerals do you suppose he's had to cover in his years as a senior reporter? I'm honestly asking.

I tend to agree with Doc: I'm not sure you assign a story here, or, if you do, you make it nuts and bolts.

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Covering a funeral of four 16-year-olds who died like this is absolutely essential.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Zeke, I'm not disagreeing with you or Doc but "senior" denotes some sort of professional status.

A nuts and bolts story would have been more appropriate because this is just embarrassingly bad.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Completely agreed.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think there is something to "writing to an audience." The story veered in tone from news to an editorial about halfway in. Without being in the community I can only surmise that the reporter was attempting to comfort the afflicted with his words. I would have run it as a column.
    Didn't realize Rick Reilly was moonlighting up in Moncton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.