1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun with "suggested" series

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BertoltBrecht, Aug 31, 2007.

1. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'll give the short version. Corporate has new prep sports series. Wants them to run. Editor is now publisher, so he wants them to run. The stories are lame and if I'm wrong about them, they still don't have a local angle.
    I'd prefer not to run them...If you have time, I would like some advice if I'm being a baby about this — I can PM the links.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

run em. Your name isn't on the bylines and when readers complain about their suckitude, forward them up the food chain.
    You might not like it, but is this a battle worth starting? Pick and choose your spots...

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Without reading them, I would agree -- run them. If corporate wants them, and the editor/publisher want them, you're going to lose. And in trying to change their minds, you're going to be branded "not a team player." Is it worth it to you?

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One question? Will you have to pull anything out of the section to get them in? (like, LOCAL prep coverage?) Just be ready to log all the calls you get and show them to your editor when people complain that little Billy's touchdown didn't get in the paper so you could run some horseshit canned feature.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Game. Set. Match.

just hold your nose and do what the bosses say.

Screw it. If they want you to suck, give them what they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted