1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fun times at Gatehouse

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Moody's downgrades Gatehouse's credit rating due to the likelihood of default.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/business/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003832816

Gatehouse shares closed at 44 cents apiece Friday.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/departments/business/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003834622

And on Thursday, the NYSE halted floor trading.

http://www.minyanville.com/articles/NYX-GHS-JRCO-MNI-gci-nyt/index/a/18095

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Next up on SJ Radio, here's that golden oldie from Lionel Richie, "Penny Lover" ....

3. bob

bob Member

Very astute move by Gatehouse to snap up dozens of Mass. papers when they had a red balance sheet, and to go public with a stock offering. They started around $22 just over a year ago, I believe.
    The only hope for Gatehouse papers, especially the ones I know of in Mass., is for Gatehouse to liquidate or file for bankruptcy and sell off the papers separately. I know the Patriot Ledger people are negotiating a new contract and they're being stonewalled at every turn.

4. How likely is that kind of situation? How many suitors would there be? JRC is cooked, Ottoway is getting out, and doubtful the Fuller family wants to rescue the Enterprise.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ottaway is not getting out. News Corp. tried to dump the Ottaway group when it bought the Wall Street Journal but found no takers.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Don't be surprised if that happens by year's end.

7. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

Now there's a stock working journalists can afford.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

But they're not exactly likely buyers for Gatehouse, unless Rupert develops an affection for community papers. If he did, there's some decent opportunity to be had for him in the Ledger and Brockton. Could corner southern Mass., for what that's worth.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]Maybe the JRC will swoop in and save it.[/blue]

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

terrible news.

the ship is going down faster than anyone anticipated.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I have a friend who works at a small Gatehouse paper where every time someone comes back from vacation, they get laid off.

My buddy's on vacation right now and comes back tomorrow. Here's to hoping he still has a job.

12. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

I used to work at a GateHouse paper, and I still have one of my 401Ks with them. Besides the obvious, I should keep all my 401 K's together, should those still working at GateHouse be worried, or are 401 K's now protected from bad corporate management?

Draft saved Draft deleted