1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Fun" movies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you can make it through Willow, good for you. The slowest, most boring piece of drek ever.

I guess if fun is being in a near coma ....

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm shocked... unless I read too fast, two pages and nobody's mentioned:

[​IMG]

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fletch. Chevy Chase's finest.

Silver Streak. Stupid, but funny.

"Top Gun" is the epitome of fun to me. Never going to win an award but perhaps the most "fun" opening of a movie (well if you like military stuff without the killing).

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The thing is, despite the jaunty style, there's some pretty dark themes at play aside from the obvious (divorce, alienation, guilt, etc.) I remember an essay exploring an "impostor" fear common to many high achievers that their success is rooted in a fraud. The writer even tried to tie that to Spielberg. Anyone can relate to Frank because at some time in life, we have actively tried to con/deceive someone. Or game some system, large or small. You can argue that Frank was simply getting back at the system that ruined his father.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gotta love the Pla-Tone family of artists.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Good call. It gets extra points for the fact that the actors played their own instruments.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would so watch Mr. Downtown based on the fictional theme song the guy sang in the concert. Hanks got the AM radio golden era of disposable artists down pretty well.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

For a first film - Hanks really nailed it as the director. The casting, the shots, the tone...

You wonder what happened with Larry Crowne.

Apparently he's playing the captain in the Somali pirates movie directed by Paul Greengrass.
    Must see.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Hate to admit it, but the Ocean movies are fun. Pretentious? Check. Incredibly self-indulgent? Check. Highly implausible? Check.

But ... what the hell.

10. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'll add "Memento," a movie that I actually like a lot and respect, while I'm at it. Fun because it's a clever brain twister that keeps you on your toes like few other movies, with a great ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted