1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fulmer out at Tennessee

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by newgrad2008, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

carroll? that would be interesting.

but don't forget about an NFL coach.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll be elected Pope before Pete Carroll is coaching at Tennessee.

That's a pretty potent batch of meth they're cooking up there in Knoxvegas.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I understand Tennessee fans being glad Fulmer's out, but the guy did bring the school a national title, they should be grateful for that. Hell yes it was time, there was no way UT would be able to recruit with Fulmer's status being what it was.
    Hell if I'm UT I wouldn't take Tuberville, good coach but the guy goes through OCs like John Daly does cigarettes.
    I'd love to see Leach there, he's a great combo of hick and scholar. Perfect for the Vols.
    Don't understand the love for Lane Kiffin, but I am beginning to get the picture that he is "very" media savvy.

4. standman

standman Member

I can see Leach to Washington before Tennessee. Leach is from the West Coast, recruits kids from the WCoast and is weird enough to fit in just fine in the Pacific NW. Plus, what is he getting out of going to Tennessee in terms of pressure and expectations.
    Tech isn't THE state school and a second or third place finish in the Big 12 South isn't a fireable offense. The Big 12 South is just as competitive as the SEC East.
    If Leach goes to Tenn., the pressure to win becomes insane. Constant 2nd or third place finishes in the conference or worse means his job will be on the line almost every year after his inaugural season.
    Washington was a real good job just seven years ago or so. People forget how close the Huskies came to playing for a national championship under Slick Rick. Leach's system would work great in the Pac-10 and there's no reason why Washington shouldn't be in the top 3 schools in the league and win a conference title every once in a while.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

They're going to go big, go young (or both) with the hire — at least that's their goal — and money won't be an issue.

They'll pay Saban-like money or more, if they have to. Remember, this is the place that built a bigger basketball arena than Rupp just to say, "Fuck Kentucky." And the pissing matches with Michigan for stadium size in the 90s were hilarious. It's one of the wealthiest athletic departments in the country, and it has more corporate connections than most outside the South realize.

First real coaching search there since Majors arrived in 1977. Wow.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The timing of Kiffin's departure (and the lengthy drama) put his name out there earlier than most. I still think Sarkisian would be the better hire any where, unless Kiffin brought his dad for the defense.

Fulmer did this early enough and the right way, apparently, so there will be little ill will around here. He didn't make it nasty like Majors did. At least he hasn't yet. I wonder if he wants to keep coaching or take a plush administrative job at UT. Hard to see him leaving the family compound there, and he'd still be beloved in the area for leaving before it got REALLY out of hand.

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Six million dollar buyout helped. Fulmer will stay involved with the school.

8. Armchair_QB

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Whoever the coach is, they'd better be psycho-competitive, I know that.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, and Leach is the wrong guy. Leach needs to stay right where he is. Period.

Now - guys like Mike Gundy and Brian Kelly...that'd be more like it.

It's too bad that a guy like Ralph Friedgen is overweight and old. What's he done at Maryland, where folks couldn't give a shit, is pretty impressive.

11. Armchair_QB

Kelly would be an interesting choice.

Gundy, like some of the others mentioned, needs to stay where he is.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted