1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fulll-Time Sports Writer, Mount Vernon News, Mount Vernon, Ohio

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jhuddles, Aug 7, 2007.

1. jhuddles

jhuddles New Member

The Mount Vernon News, a 9,300 circulation paper located in Mount Vernon, Ohio, has an opening for an entry level full-time sports writer.
    Job functions include sports writing, feature writing and, just as important, helping produce the sports pages using Quark Xpress. Knowledge of AP style guidelines and word processing programs are a must.
    Excellent organizational and planning skills are essential, as is the ability to work effectively under deadline pressure. Applicants must have good attention to detail, be able to work independently and well with others, have excellent spelling and grammar skills, and be able to work a flexible schedule. Reliable transportation is also necessary.
    A college degree with a major in journalism or communications is preferred. A wide knowledge of sports is also needed. Newspaper design experience would be helpful.
    To apply, please send cover letter, resume and clips/tearsheets to: Joe Huddleston, Sports Editor, P.O. Box 791, Mount Vernon 43050. No calls please. Questions about the position may be e-mailed to jhuddleston@mountvernonnews.com. Review of all applications will begin immediately.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You got any partt time jobs available?

Just busting your chops. Welcome to the board, thanks for posting your information.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

close to kenyon college, if you're looking for rich, hot female writers to marry.

4. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Before I landed my first job several years ago, I applied to a bunch of different places, including this gig. Got a nice email from Joe... if anything, it was honest. He was upfront about salary, saying it wouldn't be more than like 8.50 an hour.

I have no idea if that's livable in Mount Vernon, or if it's gone up.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

that's not livable anywhere

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

If you're going to make little or no money, rural ohio is the place to do it, though. Cost of living is pretty low compared to many places.

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Anyone wants to know about the town, I can fill you in.

As far as the paper, I'm hoping for the sake of the people who work there that things have changed

Joe, a shitty time to lose someone.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

$340 per week or $17,680/week.

I made more than that working part time at a newspaper in college.

Altho, you could probably qualify for food stamps in some parts of the country on that.

9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Decent gig because MV is pretty good in most sports (except football) and Joe with which to get your feet wet. Football is solid in the area with several teams making the playoffs each year. Basketball is pretty decent as well. You won't get rich (then again, you don't in this job to start with), but would be good for a recent college grad!

Draft saved Draft deleted