1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Full-time tennis writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hungryhungryhippo, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Do any papers have these jobs anymore? Or at least a gig where someone covers all the biggies (Grand Slams, Masters series, etc.)? I realize tennis has hit the back-burner and all...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Lisa Dillman at the L.A. Times, though she didn't go to Wimbledon this year (Diane Pucin was there). And with the cutbacks going on there, I suspect she won't be going to the Australian Open like she has for the past many years.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Not many do, but I'd give my right arm to be one. Well, I'd need that to type. You get the idea.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Bud at the Globe?

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And I think we've covered the two full-time tennis writers in America in four messages, although the Desert Sun in the Coachella Valley has a tennis writer who also covers preps. This person does a weekly notebook and covers the events that come to the Indian Wells Tennis Center.

Most papers fold that into a GA or other beat position. For example, I was a finalist in Contra Costa six years ago for a golf/tennis/national NFL job. Tennis was definitely the red-headed stepchild in that combo.

Other papers have one of their best prep writers cover the events when they come to town. Unlike 30 years ago, most papers don't have someone cover what has become a niche sport.

6. standman

standman Member

Charles Bricker, So. Fla Sun-Sentinel does at least three of the majors. But it is a dying beat. It doesn't help that Americans haven't been doing very well in the majors lately and there doesn't seem to be a rising star to get people excited about the sport.

Plus, it's the easiest sport to downsize for a paper looking to reduce its budget. Golf plays only one of its majors overseas and the coverage commitment is for a week. Tennis plays three of its majors overseas. Three of the majors are in very expensive cities (London, Paris, NYC) and the other one is in Australia and hard to get stories to beat deadlines.

7. mkaufman

mkaufman Member

The Miami Herald still has a fulltime tennis writer (which would be me!). We always staff Wimbledon and the US Open, and usually the French Open, too. The only one we don't staff is the Australian Open. I also do a weekly tennis column that runs from January through October. Others who qualify as newspaper tennis "beat'' writers are Lisa Dillman (LA Times), Charlie Bricker (Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel), Charles Elmore (Palm Beach Post), Liz Clarke (Washington Post), Jerry Magee (San Diego), and Dale Robertson (Houston Chronicle). It's a really fun beat, but a dying one.
    Off to the Big Apple for Andre's farewell...
    Michelle Kaufman

8. There is some web site stuff. I have a friend who writes for the WTA site, which is a similar structure to writing for NFL.com. Not as high-profile as NFL.com, but the same type of writing. Not PR, just reporting for a tennis audience. Travels quite a bit, lives in Florida, writes about tennis. It's a good gig.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tennis is a much more draining sport in terms of the travel as there is a tournament nearly every week during the year, plus Davis Cup, World TeamTennis and with so much tennis, it'd be crazy to have a beat writer for the sport (with a few exceptions, of course).

My question to you all: Is it tougher to cover tennis for 11 months out of the year than baseball with its spring training, 162 games and playoffs?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and golf didn't come to mind?

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

You're right. Golf is just as long a season and is just as demanding for the writers.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but you get to hang with tiger after hours. he's all ready shown he can pick up the hot chick come closing time.

Draft saved Draft deleted