1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

full-time sports reporter or designer/copy editor, Columbia, Missouri

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by britwrit, Jul 21, 2007.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

"SPORTS REPORTERS AND DESIGNER/COPY EDITOR

The Columbia Daily Tribune Sports department is seeking a full-time sports reporter or designer/copy editor and part-time sports reporters/agate clerks to cover local athletic events. Writing experience required. Newspaper experience preferred. Applicants must be able to work nights and weekends, must have reliable transportation, good driving record, valid driver license, and proof of insurance. Full-time applicants need experience as a sports writer or designer/editor. Please include writing samples.

Resumes and applications can be mailed or delivered to Columbia Daily Tribune, Attention Human Resources, 101 N. 4th Street, Columbia, MO 65201. You may also fax to (573) 815-1531 or email Scott Rinehart at srinehart@tribmail.com."

This is from the Tribune's site. I have absolutely no idea what this place is like now but I worked news side here about 15 years back. It was about 20,000 circulation then, a well-run (but cheapish) operation with a lot of reporters who went on to bigger and better things (though, alas, not myself). Good memories, though...

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm from the area. Paper is still pretty good for a PM. I can't speak to the job itself but if anyone has any questions about Columbia or the surrounding area, I can answer them. Feel free to PM me.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

think what the circ. would be if not for that damned college in town.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Joe Waljasper's good people. Gave me some good opportunities to free-lance during college.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The college has its own newspaper. I don't think the students drive circulation much, but I could be proven wrong.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Last time I checked, the Tribune's circulation was about 27,000 or so.
    The morning paper, the Missourian, was about 7-8k. And while a good chunk of that is free distribution to dorms, etc., readership studies have shown that most everybody who reads the Missourian also reads the Trib.
    Even between the two papers, though, their penetration rate is pretty low, considering there are more than 100k people in Columbia and surrounding areas.

7. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

who left?

8. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

"Full net of Tribune memories

By PHILIP BATSON of the Tribune’s staff
    Published Sunday, July 1, 2007
    I never took it as an insult to be called "the soccer guy" at the Tribune.

While most sports reporters in this country would abhor such a title, it was something I relished, especially with Columbia’s enthusiastic fan base for the beautiful game.

That is why I am sad to say that after almost five years with the Tribune, I will be leaving Columbia and the paper. Up next is Kansas City, where my wife is going back to school and I am embracing the challenge of a new job. ..."

http://showmenews.com/2007/Jul/20070701Spor002.asp

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

A hire's been made in this one. They took a reporter. Not sure who, though.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for the specifics, beetus. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted