1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

full of cocaine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cyclingwriter2, Mar 4, 2018.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

One of my odd habits is reading old sports books to see how writing has changed as well as how we view sports from other eras. I recently grabbed Casey at the Bat, stengal’s autobiography written just after he got canned by the Yankees.

I know most of the stories because this book is a source for a lot of other baseball books, but there is a phrase he used that cracked me up describing the Giants in the World Series in the early 1950s.

“They came out full of cocaine.”

I assume that means with a lot of energy, but I have never heard it before. Cocaine wouldn’t be a “big drug” for another decade, but it still seems odd to use cocaine use as a compliment. I mean his editor had to have known what that drug was. Unless, Stengel was the first drug whistle blower and was accusing the Giants of rampant drug abuse.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’d rather be full of cocaine than piss and vinegar.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I’m guessing it’s akin to saying such and such a thing was “like crack” to someone. Taking the extreme drug of the day for the sake of hyperbole.
    Btw, Johnny Cash in “Cocaine Blues” repeatedly uses the phrase “took a shot of cocaine,” which you never hear people use nowadays. Almost makes it sound like tequila or some other drink. Though of course he could mean “shot” as in mainlining it.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's about as wacky as this ...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There were 19th century cocaine epidemics in the U.S. It was pretty much legal to use until the 1920s.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Cocaine was the main ingredient in Coca-Cola. That’s where the name came from.

8. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Shit, I wish I hadn't gotten those back teeth pulled.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say it was the main ingredient

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I bet you wouldn't, DRUGGIE.

Chef2 and CD Boogie like this.
  11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Pearlman should’ve called his book “They Came Out Full of Cocaine”

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Full of cocaine' was the marketing tagline for the Mets in '86?

Draft saved Draft deleted