1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FSU / Miami

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Sep 7, 2009.

?

Who wins tonight's Florida State / Miami game?

1. Florida State rolls

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Florida State in a squeaker

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Miami rolls

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Miami in a squeaker

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Mini Ditka

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. Who wins the big game tonight? I'm trying to figure out who to bet on (current line FSU -6).

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I remember when this game was big.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Line opened at 4 I think, so people either talked themselves into FSU or books are trying to funnel more money to Miami, because they know something.

I kind of like Miami, but this is too hard to call because FSU is going to be good again. Not sure if Miami is getting enough respect for the season -- not just this game. Miami had a lot of freshmen and sophomores last year and was inconsistent, but they are a fast, aggressive defense and they really surprised a lot of teams last year. They beat Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. I think they may be the most talented team in the ACC, but they have a really nasty schedule. The first four games are at Florida State, at home against Georgia Tech, at Virginia Tech and at home against Oklahoma. Because of the schedule, I think they may lose a few games, but they are probably going to be better than the 7-6 team they were last year. More experienced, really good defense and Randy Shannon is a good coach. He added Mark Whipple as OC this year, which was a solid hire. Whipple developed Ben Roethlisberger with the Steelers and could make Jacory Harris even better.

That doesn't answer who to bet on. I personally think it's a coin flip game. I'd think Miami certainly has a chance, so if someone twisted my arm, I'd take them on the moneyline. It's at +200. Might as well eat the points, hope Miami can win and try to double your money. I'd also guess the total will go under 47, but no way I'd bet a game like this. I just have a feeling this is going to be a defensive game.

4. Ragu - FWIW I put my bets in before I read your post. I took FSU and the over. Mini Ditka was off the board.

Being at home is worth at least 3 points and the fact that this is Miami's first game with 2 new coordinators make me think that unfamiliarity and mistakes will lead to points (more than 47 I hope). I agree that Miami is better than last year but so too is FSU. I also agree that Whipple is a solid coach.

Wish me luck.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good luck. Honestly, I wouldn't make bets based on my analysis of FSU and Miami. I think these are two pretty good teams this year. I have no horse in the race. I'll be rooting for you and FSU and the over now.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So you guys who follow these two programs, what exactly happened?

Is it as easy as Larry Coker running the U into the ground and the game passing Bobby Bowden by?

Is it all Urban Meyer?

Something else?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's more No. 2 than No. 1

8. Free shoes and rap sheets

9. Thanks - playing with house money. Loved Cincy in the early game.

10. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

About six years of lazy recruiting on both counts they stopped going after the players they needed and started settling for the ones that they didn't need to recruit as hard.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just turned on the game and in moments found some unintentional hilarity.

On the 35-yard line there is a crest, or some sort of half-circle emblem with the words strength, skill, character.

With the ball on the 31, the camera pans in and all you can see is Miami and FSU lined up and the words "kill character."

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, that sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted