1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FSU coach leaves best players home from ACC tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Nov 4, 2010.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And if a coach considers the conference tournament "garbage time," we really have sunk to a new low. It's a incredible lack of respect to the conference you're in and the coaches, administrators and athletes in all sports who came before and built it to what level it is.
    It's gutless. I hope FSU loses in the first round of the NCAAs and this idiot gets fired.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That may be but I'm sure he doesn't start walk-ons and other scrubs to practically assure the Heels of a loss.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

It's sort of like when Connecticut put the girl out onto the floor with a stick leg and the other team let her score a bucket so she'd be the all-time leader at the school.

1.) Neither mattered to a whole lot of people.
    2.) Both were wrong, from a principal standpoint.

4. Nope. They'd be smart enough to travel with the whole team and rest a few players with nagging "injuries."

When was the last time the committee really penalized a big-time program for flaming out in the conference tournament?

It's not like it's costing them a chance at playing for a title. They're not lining up to play the SWAC champ in the play-in game or banished to the NIT or CBI if they lose in the conference quarterfinals.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost track of how many times I've seen basketball coaches pull their stars in a conference tournament game to rest them for the NCAAs.

But leaving them home is a bit too arrogant for my blood.

6. ACC Commissioner John Swofford had this to say:

“I’m highly disappointed in the decision Florida State made in not bringing its starters to the ACC Women’s Soccer Championship. Our league has a long and rich national tradition in women’s soccer and the integrity of our championships should never be compromised.

"FSU’s action is disrespectful to our teams, players, coaches and the fans that support the ACC. It undermines the purity of the competition that a conference championship deserves.

"The value of sportsmanship and leadership runs deep in this league and both were lacking when Florida State made the decision to not participate in good faith at the ACC Championship.

"Conference action on this matter will be forthcoming.”

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bill Polian thinks this is a great idea.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I could really see this as a possibility in a conference baseball tournament -- especially with pitchers. I doubt this practice will be allowed come next May.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

There's no evidence coaches in major conferences hold back on their pitching in the conference tournaments. Those guys want to win the league possibly more than in other sports because the NCAA regional and CWS are such a crap-shoot.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Love the fact that Swofford blistered AD Randy Spetman also. Wonder if he even knew the soccer coach was going to do this?

Draft saved Draft deleted