1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FSU coach leaves best players home from ACC tournament

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lone star scribe, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Florida State women's soccer coach Mark Krikorian decided to leave his best players home from the ACC Tournament this week to rest them for the upcoming NCAA tournament. FSU tied for second in the ACC and is ranked top 10, so it figured to get an at-large bid. The ACC execs however are upset. FSU was blown out (3-1 is a soccer blowout) in the first round by a far inferior Wake Forest team, which was then able to rest its starters for its semifinal match.

So what do you think? Good move or too brazen? I'm thinking he should have brought his whole team, then maybe played certain players fewer minutes or something.

I also think the ACC should suspend his butt for his team's entire run in the NCAAs, so as to let the punishment fit the crime, for casting the game into disrepute. Here's the link:

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's women's college soccer. On a 1-10 scale, its impact is minus-12
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's a bullshit move and the coach is an idiot if he admitted he left his kids home to rest but unless the ACC has a rule on the books that expressly prohibits what he did, they can't suspend them.

They can, however, put a rule that prohibits what he did on the books for next year.

And this move will eventually come back to bite him in the ass anyway. The other coaches will remember this and will get a chance to lay one on FSU the next time they have a down year.
  5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with this too.
  6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Anything to underline the pointlessness of conference tournaments in team sports is fine by me.
  7. Wow, I'm hoping you guys don't mean that coaches only need to be ethical in sports that "really" matter.

So if Roy Williams or Jim Calhoun does it, you have a problem? Otherwise, no? And I was afraid I was getting jaded.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm right there with you LSS. If you're one of the players, or a member of one of the other teams, the impact's not trivial. Unless they're saying that in reality, any action like this in any sport is trivial. But I doubt posters on a sports journalism board would be saying that.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I agree with this man.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wake was 11-7-1 with a 30 RPI before this game. Borderline NCAA qualifications. But a win over FSU and its 12 RPI probably puts WFU in, even though it's clearly not a "real" win over a 12 RPI club.

Wake loses to the real FSU team, and it's probably out of the NCAAs. Now it's in and somebody else on the bubble gets bumped.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If I were in charge of a bunch of college kids, and I wanted some of them to get some rest, I'd damn sure make certain they were someplace where I could watch them get that rest. Why didn't the guy just bring the stars along for the trip, then not dress them? Let them watch TV in the hotel.
  12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You think it's that high?
Draft saved Draft deleted