1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FS1's Katie Nolan with TKO of Rick Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

In only skimmed the column, but shook my head at that one. It's what -- 10 times, 100 times? -- more likely a current NFL player would be unaware McCartney was in a band other than the Beatles?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wrong sport. He's so far up the NBA's you know what that he'll deliver a perfect column on it. Then again, maybe not. :)

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty bad. Especially the link to Share Story Ideas!

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Agreed on the Philbin point. I think he was more making fun of the players for not knowing who he was rather than Regis himself.

Point taken, though, on the column linked above. I couldn't even get halfway through before I gave up.

5. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I've always been intrigued by the fall of Reilly. Growing up, I'd find some way to find my hands on a copy of SI, and I'd immediately flip to the back page. One of the first books I bought was Life of Reilly, and I actually picked it back up the other day.

Now, Reilly's only 55, so he could theoretically have a great next 10 years and make everybody forget about the last 10. But at this point, is that even a possibility?

6. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

if i could ask reilly one question with truth serum it would be "whaddya think of bill simmons?" between the 30 for 30 series and grantland, simmons has had such a huge impact at ESPN, evolving into new and bigger roles, while onetime alpha writer reilly becomes a shadow of what he used to be.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't imagine who possibly cares what he thinks of Simmons.

9. Mizzougrad96

Well, it's funny... Reilly, for years, was considered one of, if not, the best writer of his generation... Simmons was considered a fanboi.

Who has made a bigger impact at ESPN?

It helps when you still care about your job. I like Simmons, I get why some don't, but he cares about his job. He works hard.

Reilly has been on cruise control for 15 years.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's never done a thing since he's been at ESPN. Well, he's never done a thing *well*. He's done Sportscenter, and MNF ("Can you say that I had this first on twitter?"). He's written cliche'd crap.

Simmons has passed by him like a rocket ship. They aren't even in the same area code.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they also had one of the first well-known Twitfights or something.

12. Mizzougrad96

Was his contract at ESPN renewed? If not, it's got to be up soon. I'm looking forward to him going to the Golf Channel or something like that...

Draft saved Draft deleted