1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FS1's Katie Nolan with TKO of Rick Reilly

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After Reilly had dinged Regis Philbin by saying "no one [at Super Bowl media day] knew who he was."

Her best line: "Knowing Rick, he probably borrowed that line from a column he wrote 10 years ago."

Figured this would be SportsJournalists.com gold. Enjoy:

http://thebiglead.com/2014/01/29/katie-nolan-eviscerated-rick-reilly-on-crowd-goes-wild/#sthash.FEY5Bea7.uxfs

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I love her.

Not enough to ever watch that channel, but yes, I love her.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Holy hell. She wasn't kidding about the website.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Don't you think this was a complete overreaction?

Reilly is an idiot, but if you actually watch the video, he's not malicious at all. The way Nolan handled it, you'd think he came out and called Regis a "troll," or something more inflammatory than "a lot of players didn't know who Regis Philbin was" (true) and that he wore makeup (true).

Here is the video of Reilly: http://fansided.com/2014/01/28/rick-reilly-disses-regis-philbin-little-guy-make-video/#!tT0gU

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wasn't going to start a thread on this, but read this if you dare. One of the worst columns I have read from him in recent memory.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10339938/super-bowl-never-was

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Good God.

Reilly essentially published a list of players that have never played in a Super Bowl, then tacked on Sebastian Janikowski, even though HE HAS PLAYED IN A SUPER BOWL.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At halftime, the Beatles put on a great show, which caused Calvin Johnson to say, "Wait. Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?"

Not only is it hackneyed, Calvin Johnson was born 4 years after the stupid band broke up.

Reilly really doesn't get paid to fling this monkey shit, does he?

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He just might make more in a year than everyone who has posted on this thread combined.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Speaks volumes about what's wrong with journalism, doesn't it?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have this bizarre thought that with the ESPN contract Reilly made a conscious decision to mail it in as performance art, and that there will be a hilarious and insightful book coming in a couple of years about just how easy it is to make a buck in America once you're already in the 1 percent.

I know that isn't the case. But that's the only way to put a positive spin on his last couple of years.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I actually read the above linked column thinking I was missing the joke. And performance art was a phrase that entered my mind. Maybe we are all just missing something.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I used to work with a sports guy who would loudly insist to his co-workers that as soon as he retired he was going to write a book about how stupid management was paying him for years and years when he didn't care, didn't do any work, didn't follow sports and was completely faking it on the air night after night. He never quite figured out that his co-workers resented carrying this asshole. It was not a sad day when he got shitcanned.

True story: I had to work Super Bowl Sunday, and during the game that asshole was sitting in his office watching "Lawrence Welk."

Draft saved Draft deleted